Chapter 112 - A Surprise

Playlist:

❶ "Holmes and Elizabeth"—Young Sherlock Holmes OST

❷ "Marion's Theme"—Raiders of the Lost Ark OST

After freshening up and dressing in his formal blacks, Luke ran across the courtyard at 1730

After freshening up and dressing in his formal blacks, Luke ran across the courtyard at 1730. A few Padawan saw him and giggled. "Master's got a date tonight," Geryl said.

Luke smiled as he thought, Yes, I do. The best one of my life. 

He carried in his hand a flat box, about twenty-five centimeters square. A smaller box bulged in his pocket. 

❶ When he reached the study, he turned on the mellow notes of the Modal Tones, lit the candles on the table, and laid the Journal of the Whills on the table in front of the fire.

He stood by the hatch, his legs twitching in anticipation as he waited for Naluma to arrive. Through the Force, he followed her as she left her room and descended the staircase at the other end of the hall.

While Padawan Benae served the meal, Naluma arrived. She wore her formal purple gown with amethyst beading and embroidery. Her hair was braided in an intricate style that let most of her tresses hang down her back like a waterfall. Kallay had helped her prepare earlier, weaving tiny purple flowers into random braids among her flowing locks. Thanks to bacta gel, the scar over her eye and burn on her neck had healed without a trace over the last few weeks.

Luke inhaled her lavender perfume. As she flowed into the room, he met her at the door, knelt before her, and took her hand in a formal greeting. He lifted her hand to his mouth and kissed it.

Naluma laughed and said, "Rise, Sir Knight."

As Luke stood, he brought his other hand from behind her back and presented the flat box with the ribbon on it.

Naluma asked with surprise, "What's this?"

Luke smiled warmly in anticipation. "A surprise. Open it." He held the box while she untied the ribbon.

When Naluma opened the box, her eyes widened and she gasped. Inside lay an amethyst and diamond necklace. Large amethysts hung like feathers, surrounded by lines of tiny diamonds, strung on a platinum chain.

"Don't you like it?"

"No, I love it, but this is way too expensive, Luke. You shouldn't have spent so much."

Luke shushed her with a kiss. "There. The more you argue, the more I will silence you."

Naluma winked at him. "Might just keep arguing then." She leaned forward and returned the kiss.

Luke removed the necklace from the box. "May I?"

Naluma turned around and lifted her hair up as he secured it around her neck. She looked down and touched it again. "I never thought I would ever have anything like this. Thank you, Luke." She kissed him again.