Chapter 11 - Training of a Jedi Knight

Playlist:

❶ "Lesson One" 0.44–2.12—The Last Jedi OST

⊘ Silence

❷ "Tales of a Jedi Knight" 2.45–4.28—A New Hope OST

Parked on a grassy field and surrounded by transports, shuttles, freighters, and anything else that could be used for temporary accommodations, the Falcon served as home for the time being

Parked on a grassy field and surrounded by transports, shuttles, freighters, and anything else that could be used for temporary accommodations, the Falcon served as home for the time being. Luke followed Leia aboard the old freighter.

The Falcon retained a particular odor that the scrubbers could never remove—part hydraulic fluid, part dirt, part booster fuel, and even part Corellian brandy—but to Luke, it would always smell of home.

With a wry grin, he recognized the well-worn social area. "I love what you've done with the place." The white padding around the chess table with the gun-metal gray bulkheads brought a warmth to his heart he hadn't expected.

"Oh, you be quiet." Leia playfully punched him in the stomach before laying out emergency rations and a water container on the circular holographic game table.

"Ooh, just what I was hoping you'd serve—emergency rations and water. I haven't had that since ..."

"Yesterday," they chimed in unison, grinning at each other.

After Luke took a bite of the protein stick, he slurped some water. "How are things going with you and Han?"

"We're doing all right." Glaring at her brother, she sipped her water.

He stared at her and mulled over her response. 

"Don't pry, Luke." She scowled at him.

"Hey, I just want to maintain peace in the galaxy. Your altercations could affect the whole system, you know." He snorted and wiggled his eyebrows.

"Stop it." She leaned back in her seat and crossed her arms.

Luke wondered if things between them would ever be the same. He tried not to show how much it hurt when she shut him out like this.

After a few bites, she leaned forward. "So, what's your next step?"

He took a deep breath and gathered his thoughts before answering. "Well, the Senate wants me to start recruiting new Jedi apprentices and training them, but ..."

"You don't think the Jedi should answer to the Senate, do you?" Leia pressed her lips together.

Luke shook his head and crossed his arms. "Absolutely not. The Jedi Order serves the Force, not the Senate."

"As for training new apprentices, Leia," Luke asked, looking up through his bangs and reaching out to grab her hand, "when are we going to start your training?"