Chapter 24 - The Jakku Report

Playlist:

❶ "Alliance Assembly"—Return of the Jedi Extended ST

❷ "Rebel Briefing"—Return of the Jedi OST

⊘ Silence

The air-conditioned corridors of the Senate Hall felt like cool waterfalls compared to the arid climate of the last two weeks on the sweltering planet Jakku

The air-conditioned corridors of the Senate Hall felt like cool waterfalls compared to the arid climate of the last two weeks on the sweltering planet Jakku. In retrospect, Han almost preferred it to reporting the results of his scouting mission to the Senate.

"Bureaucrats," he mumbled as Chewie and he traveled from the Falcon to the Senate Hall on a hovercart. The scruffy brush and spiky trees scraped at the underbelly of the KR-73 with ear-cringing drags. "'Go subvert a planet run by the underworld,' they say. Not as easy as it sounds, huh, Chewie?"

The Wookiee growled and nodded.

When Han and Chewie arrived, the cadre of security guards formed a line, blocking the entrance. The sergeant in security blue stepped forward. "Identification, please."

Han pulled a code cylinder from his left arm, and Chewbacca retrieved his credentials from his bandolier.

"Seevers, take their weapons."

The Wookiee pulled his bowcaster over his head while Han unbuckled his blaster from his hip holster.

The female Togrutan sergeant handed the code cylinders back. Her montrail swished as she turned back to the duo, the purple tribal markings on her white lekku twisting with each movement. "Senate's deliberating. I will notify them you have arrived."

The duo strutted past the guard shack into the Senate Hall. When Han reached over the concierge station, he grabbed two bottles of iced stimcaf. He tossed one to Chewbacca. The Wookie sprawled on the low couch in front of a video screen and moaned.

He wiped his mouth and twisted the lid on the bottle. "Yeah, I don't think they had Wookiees in mind when they designed that thing, Chewie."

His friend chortled, his head bobbing against his knees.

The smuggler sat beside his friend and looked up at the screen. The camera focused on his wife, her eyes flashing while she debated. With the audio muted, he could only stare.

The video zoomed in sequence on the empty senatorial sections for the systems of Daalang in the Slice, Velmor in Mandalorian Space, and Argazda in New Territories. The chyron scrolled across the bottom of the screen. "Many senators fear that this secession is just the beginning of a widespread collapse of the New Republic."

Han asked, "Hey, can you change this to the races?"

The sergeant moved to the screen. "Sorry, General Solo. Only the Senate Hall. I can turn up the volume for you."