Chapter 39 - Did He Mark You?

Playlist:

❶ "That Girl with the Staff"—The Force Awakens OST

❷ "Scherzo for X-Wings"—The Force Awakens OST

❸ "The Battle of Yavin"—A New Hope OST

❹ "Torn Apart"—The Force Awakens OST

❶ Naluma Force-pushed the crosshilted lightsaber across the clearing a mere second before it could touch Luke's flesh

❶ Naluma Force-pushed the crosshilted lightsaber across the clearing a mere second before it could touch Luke's flesh. She hauled the corpse off his prone figure, revealing her master's distorted face. "Master!" She knelt beside him. "Where are you hurt? Did he mark you?"

"No, it's my back," Luke groaned as he clenched his face in pain. "I landed on some rocks. I think I might have broken something." He moaned as his back spasmed once more.

"Don't move."

He grunted through staggered breaths, "I don't think I could if I wanted to."

She knelt beside him and lightly touched his arm. Sending the tendrils of the Force through his body, she searched for the injury. A chip. A fracture. A ruptured disc. A severed nerve.

Biting her lip, she delved deeper, searching and finding nothing.

"What is it? Tell me, Naluma. Is my back broken?"

She shook her head. "I can't find it. Can't find the break. Just stay still. We'll have to get you to a med center." She smoothed the hair from his eyes before standing. "I'll be back. Be still."

He groaned and clenched his eyes shut as she padded off into the forest.

She looked around the carnage for anything she could use to splint his back. Under the trees she found some fallen branches. She severed the fronds and needles with her lightsaber and evened the branches' lengths.

After dragging the branches to him, she hunted for something to tie them up with. She took the cape from her last opponent and ripped it into wide strips. She bound the poles together with the bands, saving a few to secure Luke to the improvised stretcher.

"Naluma, I can't feel my legs," he whimpered as the pain in his back overwhelmed him.

"Focus on my voice, master." She grabbed his hand and let the Force flow through her to him, cascading it around his fears and his pain. "Sh. That's right, just focus on the Force. Take what you need from me." She opened her channels wide with no reserves.

"Now, I'm going to move you to the stretcher, master. Let me do all the work." She gnawed her lip to keep her own tears back.

Using the Force, she lifted him slowly to the stretcher, preserving him in the same position so that no nerves were pinched or damaged. Sweat beaded on Naluma's face as she worked used the Force to transport him slowly. Luke moaned, and her shoulders tensed. She eased her progress, but soon Naluma settled his limp form on the platform, ending the effort with a gentle hand on his chest.