Chapter 30 - You Called

Playlist:

❶ "Murron's Burial"—Braveheart OST

❷ "The Return to the City"—Empire of the Sun OST

❸ "Jessica's Theme"—The Man From Snowy River OST

❹ "The Falcon"—The Force Awakens OST

⊘ Silence

"Laundry?"

"Laundry?"

Naluma poked her head out the hatch of her cabin to see Luke with a duffel bag slung over his shoulder. "Laundry? You ignored me for the last twelve hours, and all you can say—"

"I had nothing to say."

She eyed him from head to toe. "Liar." she laid her hands on her hips. "You may deny whatever the Force is doing between us—"

❶ "I'm sorry." He bit his lip and lowered his eyes. "Didn't want to say the wrong thing."

She leaned forward, steeling his gaze. "I'm a big girl, master. You can tell me anything."

He raised his head and looked her in the eyes. "Padawan, whatever you're feeling, it's too late for me. My vows forbid attachments."

She snatched his hand. The bond burned wide open, the Force flowing between them like a roaring flame. "You feel this? How can you ignore it?"

"It's the Master/Padawan bond. Happens to every Jedi during training."

"You're telling me your bond with Master Yoda felt like this?"

"No. But you and I spend so much more time together ..."

She huffed.

"Look." He cocked his head. "You haven't taken your vows yet. Meditate about it. See if this is a life you can lead. And, in the meantime, go out. Wedge is a good guy. Let your hair down. Go have your thrills."

Naluma's cheeks burned, the dark side beckoning. "You think that's what I want? You think I just throw myself at any man that crosses my path?"

"No. Stop putting words in my mouth." His face flushed. He stepped closer and softened his tone. "What do you want?"

She breathed heavily for a long moment before whispering. "You. Us."

He shook his head. "I can't give you that."

He grabbed the kit bags stuffed with dirty uniforms and pounded down the entry ramp. "Figure this out, Naluma. I've got Sindain this afternoon, and then I'll swing by the quartermaster." He bit his lip to keep the tears that glistened in his eyes from falling. "If you can't bear this burden, catch a transport to Hosnian. I'll transfer enough credits for you to restart your life."

"Master?" Her heart churned, an intense pressure building inside.

"Goodbye, Naluma." He headed down the ramp without looking back.