Chapter 4: "Masquerade"

Sydney was, to say the least, happy about me getting a job. She was so excited that she started looking for apartments near our college already.

"Let me get my first pay at least," I said, laughing airily upon seeing Sydney frantically searching for apartments to rent near our college.

"It's better to start early. Besides, I don't think I will be able to stay here for another month."

"You're not wrong. But it'll take time for us to find an apartment according to our budget."

"Oh please Mel, you're getting paid loads. I think we can afford to cross our budget."

"May I remind you that this is strictly a three month job? I'm going back to college, you know. And I think Mr. Jones will not be keeping a second year college student around." And God knows I have been screwing up

I'm clumsy as hell, and I knew that for a fact. I mess up the simplest tasks. I would fetch the wrong folder or even get him the wrong coffee. He would just give me a stern look and I'd have to go back and fetch him a new cup or the correct folder.

But on the other hand, I found it exhilarating to work with him. He might keep me under pressure with abrupt deadlines and his arduous tasks, but I loved it. I loved a challenge. And I learned a great deal in the past few weeks.

I was still puzzled by the fact that why a head of a massive company would hire a college student as his personal assistant. But according to some of my co-workers, Mr. Jones was quite strict with his assistants and had a hard time finding one. Apparently, he would treat them horribly.

But I didn't experience anything too awful except for the short deadlines and his occasional stern looks. He wasn't actually that nasty with me after the first day. I was eager to learn and he was equally eager to teach me.

The man himself, however, was a complete mystery. He loved working, but he wasn't a workaholic. He lived a very organized lifestyle alone, but occasionally had dates with a different girl every week. Unfortunately, I was the one who was scheduling them and I swear a pang of jealousy used to surge through me every time I would schedule them. Admittedly, it was strange. He was my dad's friend, he was practically my uncle. And soon after, I would let that weird feeling go, brushing it off as a silly crush. But once in awhile, he would brush my hands wit his and it would sent a sweet little shiver down my spine.

He wasn't a family person. In the last three weeks I have worked him, his mom tried to schedule four lunches with him, but each time, he turned her down. Why would his own mother have to go through to his assistant just to meet him? Every time his mom tried to contact him, he would tell me to make up an excuse. It seemed to me like Mr. Jones didn't share a very good relation with his mother.

Mr. Jones had quite the reputation around the office too. Whenever he would come over, the employees would stop whatever they were doing, and rush back to their respective places. It was quite hilarious to see how the whole office would react to him. There were also some women and men who were absolutely head over heels over him. You could literally see the hearts popping out of their eyes every time Mr. Jones would passed by. Of course Mr. Jones wasn't aware of that.

I wasn't quite popular around the office. Some of the employees congratulated me on getting my first job while I was just in college, but most of them weren't so appreciating. I would hear them snigger every time I passed them. Somehow, I actually didn't care. I was here for three months after all, why should I?

Today was the first day in a few weeks I was spending a lazy weekend over at my house. The office had been hectic these days, and I was mostly over with Mr. Jones every night, going over our papers. Many employees were on leave during the summer, and as a result, there was more work to do. Lucky for me though, he promised us triple our pay for those who came on the weekends.

"Jake got us tickets to some kind of masquerade themed night he's holding at his club. You have to go with me Armelle!"

"Is that an order? I don't have a say in this?" I asked taking a bite out of my pizza.

"Nope. I know your answer very well," Syd said, taking another slice from the box.

"Do I have to go? This is the first free weekend I am getting in weeks. Can I just spend it lazily on a couch watching reruns of Friends?" I whined.

"Mel please, it's just one night. They're limited tickets. You should be thanking me!" Syd reasoned. Jake goes to UWF with us and he was a close friend of Sydney's. His dad owned the local club which was a few blocks away from the campus. Jake loved to hold themed parties at his club and this time, the theme was Masquerade Night.

"You really should have fun sometimes. It's going to be fun," Jasper encouraged me who was distractedly running a hand across Sydney's arm.

"Please, Mel!" Syd begged me.

"Okay fine!" I finally gave in.

"Yes!" Sydney yelled, doing a little happy dance. My best friend can be cute, annoying, and not to mention, very persuasive.

. . .

"What do you think?" Sydney whirled around, placing her hands on her hips. Sydney was wearing a peach bodycon dress with slits at the side of her waist.

"You look gorgeous." The dress complimented her lean figure and her tanned skin. Her chocolate brown hair was styled to the side which bought out her blue eyes.

"It's your turn!" I groaned and took off my t-shirt, followed by my jeans. Sydney and I have known each other since the fifth grade, so we didn't hesitate changing in front of each other anymore. I put on the dress and studied myself in the mirror.

I was wearing a one shoulder, black cocktail dress which came just above my knees.

After numerous times of insisting, I decided to put on light makeup and straighten my hair. According to Syd, my hair had to be in a certain way in order to go with this dress. And I honestly didn't give a fuck, but I still let Sydney have her way.

After a solid half hour, Sydney was finally done with me, she started working on her makeup as she was already done with her hair. I looked at myself in the mirror. I must admit Syd did a good job of grooming me well.

After Sydney was done we went downstairs where Jasper was waiting for us in his car.

"Why do you girls take so much time to get ready? I mean I only took like... Whoa." Jasper finally looked at Sydney, who looked astounding, as per usual. But Sydney was extra appealing for she rarely dolls up for any occasion, and frankly, neither did I.

Jasper was speechless, eyeing her, his eyes travelling down to her legs finally up to her face. "Babe you look..."

Sydney strolled into the front seat and kissed him, "I know babe," she winked, "Just make sure you keep your eyes on the road or else you will end up killing us."

I laughed, getting into the back seat. Jasper and Sydney were the cutest couple I have seen.

Jasper was looking good too. He styled his blonde hair and was clean shaved. He was wearing a black shirt and jeans.

"I have to admit, Syd did a good job of grooming you, Mel. You look beautiful," Jasper complemented, grinning at me. I thanked him and Syd shot me a knowing I-told-you-so look.

. . .

We were finally here. Jasper didn't crash the car or anything, but unfortunately, I saw him trailing his hand on Syd's bare thighs and close to other places, even though I desperately tried to ignore it.

"Did you bring the masks Mel?"

I nodded, taking out the masks from my oversized purse and handed it to them.

We put them on. I ended up buying a simple black mask with small sequins over it. It also had two black feathers attached to its side.

Jasper and Syd got matching white masks with golden intricate details on them.

"Let's go!" Syd took my arm and dragged me inside the club with Jasper following us behind.

I pursed my lips. Clubs and parties weren't my thing and I had a feeling in the pit of my stomach that this was going to be one hell of a night.

....

Edited by  unlady