Chapter 26: "Away"

"Where am I?" I mumbled, my throat was dry, I was thirsty and my body was hurting everywhere. "Water," I croaked barely getting the words out of my mouth. There were lights shining at me from everywhere.

"Armelle... baby you okay?" I heard Asher's voice, then I heard the distant sound of water filling the glass. I still couldn't open my eyes properly. I felt the cold glass against my lip so I lifted my head a little, sipping from the glass. That gesture was enough to leave my head throbbing in pain.

"Ouchh," the pain was unbearable.

"Lie down baby," Asher helped me to lie down on the pillows. He wiped the drops of water off my mouth with a tissue. "Let me call the doctor."

The rest was a vague memory, all I remember is the distant murmur of the doctors, and later the doctor injected me with something and I passed out, again.

This kept on happening for sometime as the days passed by. I would woke up to see Asher always beside me. I didn't know how long I was staying at the hospital. Hours? Days? I had no clue. I woke up quite a few times to see Sydney and Jasper visiting even my parents but I never had the energy to talk to them, they were worried, really worried. I wanted to assure them that I was fine.

One day I didn't feel sleepy anymore, in fact I was a lot better than I was before. My body wasn't hurting like it was when I woke up the last time. I felt much better now.

"Asher.... water," I asked feeling thirsty. He got me up carefully and made me drink some water. The water tasted like heaven.

"You feeling better baby?" Asher asked relieved to see me awake. Asher looked tired, he had bags under his eyes and a five o' clock shadow. He didn't look so well.

"How long have I been here?"

"It has been weeks since you have been here," I tried to get up but he stopped me, "Be careful there. You had quite a few fractures. Wait till I call the doctor."

He pressed on a button, a few moments later the doctor arrived. He asked me if I felt better and did a thorough check up of me. "You seem a bit better but you need to rest. You have suffered quite some fractures."

And so I was bed ridden at the hospital for quite a few weeks.

Asher was there beside me all the time, not leaving my side even for a minute. If he absolutely needed to go somewhere he would call the nurse and have her sit beside me. I told him to go back home to freshen up and take some rest there since the hospital bed was too small for him, but he wasn't willing to leave me alone. Both Syd and Jasper and my parents volunteered to look after me but Asher didn't want them to. He was determined to be by my side all the time.

That incident left me traumatized. I still remember the way Ivana hurt me. The way she mercilessly kept on hitting me with the bat. For a long time neither Asher nor I brought up the incident. I guess he wanted to talk when I was ready.

One day while Asher was feeding me dinner, I brought up the topic.

"How did you get to know I was at-" I paused, it was even hard for me to say her name, "Ivana's place?" I finished my sentence.

"Apparently after you passed out from what Ivana did to you- Michael tried to wake you up. But you didn't respond to him. So he freaked out, feeling guilty he called me up and told me everything. I immediately rushed to Ivana's house to find you there all covered in blood and-" he paused I felt his grip on my hand getting tighter, "The police already reached there arresting Michael and Ivana. Michael called the police to confess his stepmother's and his crime of stealing money from the company and for abusing you."