Chapter 13: "Dinner"

The kiss was slow but intense. He bit on my lower lip, seeking entrance. I felt myself getting wrapped in his spell. I dug my hands in his hair, pulling him closer, his tongue deepening the kiss further. The electricity surged through me. He groaned in his throat softly, his leg finding his way up between my legs, eliciting a moan out of me.

I wanted more. But unfortunately, we pulled apart to catch our breaths and finally realizing we were at our floor now. We both got out breathing hard, still not facing each other.

"What was that for?" I breathed out.

"The man in the elevator was one of the trustees. If I didn't kiss you our secret would have been out which would have put a strain on both of our reputation".

I nodded understanding. The kiss... I shrugged that thought off.

"It meant nothing," Asher whispered to himself, and I could feel a pang of disappointment in my heart. But I had to agree, the kiss meant nothing.

. . .

"Have dinner with me." Asher said, coming into my room while I was working.

"Alright, I'll call room service." I reached for the bedside table phone.

"Not here. Downstairs, in the restaurant."

"Why not here?" I said, quirking an eyebrow at him.

"Because the trustee who saw us in the lift will be there. It'll take some convincing but we need to look like we are engaged and very much in love. At least enough to tell Mr. Hamilton."

"Okay, I'll get dressed then." I was to blame for the mess and looks like now I have to get us out of it.

. . .

We went to the restaurant downstairs. I decided to wear a red cocktail dress, all thanks to Sydney, and black heels while Asher was wearing navy blue dress shirt and suit. I realized I had many thing yet to discover about the Hamilton. The restaurant had dark, romantic lighting with a soft piano playing it's tune in the corner.

A waiter sat us down at a table and Asher sat opposite of me.

"Holy shit! This place is expensive." I buzzed, scanning the menu. "Eighty five dollars for a sauteed duck breast, jeez."

"With apricot chutney." Asher added, finding it amusing. "Don't worry about it, dinner is on me. All you have to do is order," he assured me seeing me panic about the price.

"That duck breast better cure my allergies too along with fulfilling my appetite." I commented jokingly. Turns out it was enough for Asher to hear because next thing I know he was laughing. He looked quite adorable while he laughed, I realized. His dimples were prominent and his green eyes held an amused gleam.

"I hope so too Armelle." he said between his laughter. I smiled to myself. Somehow making him laugh made me happy.

"Honestly I prefer McDonald's fries and chicken nuggets over this," I said before I could stop myself. I bit my lip thinking I shouldn't have said that. Of course Asher would prefer a fancy restaurant like this over good old McDonalds.

He chuckled. "Nothing beats McNuggets." I couldn't guess whether he was sarcastic or not.

"Would you like to order?" The waiter asked.

I told Asher to order for me since I trusted him and he would be more experienced at this. He even asked for champagne that I couldn't pronounce the name of.

I looked around to see Mr. Hamilton's friend and the company's trustee having dinner a few tables away from us.

They were in middle of what I assumed were appetizers when Mr. Hamilton himself joined them.