Chapter 5: "The Stranger"

We were enjoying our drinks before Syd suggested that we dance. I was a little tipsy considering I already had four shots of my favorite concoction, vodka mixed with coke. If I was completely sober, I would have definitely disputed, but the alcohol in my system helped me loosen up.

We strolled to a slightly secluded area. Sydney and I danced while Jasper slyly kept an eye for any looming strangers trying to creep up on us. There were one or two guys who tried to approach us but Jasper conveniently chased them away.

I decided to take a little break from dancing as my feet started to hurt in those four inch heels while Jasper and Sydney danced.

Ordering myself another vodka and coke shot, I immediately gulped them down. "Well, Vista, I never expected to see you here," a voice behind me called. I froze in my seat. The only person who calls me by my surname is-

"Jack?" I breathed out my heart beating erratically- not in a good way.

"I knew you would never forget me babe." He took a seat beside me inching closer and closer. I instinctively recoiled away.

"What- what are you doing here?" My shock evident in my tone. Unlike the others, he wasn't wearing a mask.

"That's none of your business. I know you still want me. I missed you so much babe," he took my hands in his slowly, stroking my arm, his musty breath fanning my neck.

His odor reeked of alcohol. I tried to push him away but his grip on me hardened. I winced, feeling the bruises forming on my side. "Jack... let go."

But he wasn't listening, he started kissing down my collarbone. "Jack... Please!" I tried to fight him off but he didn't even flinch. His strength surpassed my own. I looked around desperately for help, wanting to get rid of him.

"Didn't you hear the girl? Get away from her!" A voice behind me barked, I looked up to see a man in a mask, his fists curled up to his side, his jaw clenched.

Jack immediately let go. I hurriedly got up, grasping the stranger's arm."There you are Mark, baby." I prayed silently, hoping he wouldn't retract his arm but he played along.

I could feel his hard muscles from under my grip. "Stay away from my girl," the stranger gritted his teeth, livid.

"Girlfriend? Cute." Jack laughed airily, "You can have her. Take care, she's a tigress," Jack disappeared into a dark corridor. My heart was still beating a mile a minute..

"You alright?" The stranger's voice sounded so familiar, but I couldn't put a name to it, the haze of my drunken phase getting the best of me.

"I will be." I exhaled and he sat down beside me, placing a gentle hand on my back. My heartbeat slowed down, and I felt at ease and secure in his small embrace.

"Need a drink?" I nodded. He handed me a glass of water and I chugged it down in one go.

"I am just gonna stay here with you until someone comes over to fetch you. Is that okay?"

I nodded. Even if he hadn't offered I would have told him to stay. Jack was trouble and I couldn't afford to confront him again. I know trusting an absolute stranger was wrong but frankly, anyone was better than Jack.

"How do you know I came with someone?" I asked, arching an eyebrow at him. I could make out a killer jawline and emerald eyes under the dancing disco lights. I assumed he was a good looking man, though half of his face was covered.

"Well don't most people come to clubs with someone else?"

I gulped down another drink. "Then who did you come with?"