What Hides In The Dark

"VINA?"His voice echoed off the walls, but it sounded as if he were miles away.
Her body hurt, her head hurt, and her mind was buzzing with a noise she couldn't quite pin point.
"Vina?" He called out to her again, "I'm coming down for you, stay there!"
And then the voice was gone, replaced with the deafening silence.

This world had seen better days, the darkness filling the void that had once been filled with light. It was happening all over again, the worlds were changing, and with them, so too, were the people. It was heartbreaking to watch as civilization rose and fell beneath the weight of its own greed, the people left to suffer as their homes and lives crumbled in the ashes they'd left behind.
People had done this, they had ravaged this world beyond saving, and yet there was one race that would still call it home. They had arrived as many others, fleeing their broken vessels and building homes within the caves and caverns, no longer to travel among the stars; for a time.They had fled from a dying world, from an enemy that none wished to speak of, and here, on this lonely little rock, they had found a home.
Shimmering scales covered their bodies, with eyes like diamonds and hair the color of night itself, but that all changed, when she watched them change, right before her eyes. It was to be a celebration of great proportions, families gathering to honor those that had gone before them, and on this night, they took the forms of those souls and danced beneath the storms that brewed overhead.
A dead, desolate world, corrupted by those who had abandoned it, plagued by the constant lightening that rocketed through its skies; and yet, these people lived here. But they were not people, mere shadows of others, intricate fabrications of what was, lingering for but a moment in remembrance of a life well lived; or so it was said.
She watched as they changed forms before her, chanting and swaying to the rhythms of the night, and come morning, after all the carnal inhibitions had been expended, she watched them sleep. So peaceful and serene, for something so vile and sinister, something so willing to live the life of another. If they could mimic the dead, was what to stop them from mimicking the living? Or worse?

Fuck!
Yup, this was one of those times, where she liked to throw in one or two of the more, vulgar profanities. Right along with, "Fucking cunt!" As she tried to move her arm.
Leg, one day, and an arm, the next. What was she going to mangle next? Her spine?
No wait, hadn't she already done that too?
The hole she'd fallen from, was quite a ways up, and spinning about in circles as she tried her best to focus on it. Dammit, this was not looking good.
"You should get up!" The female spoke, before she appeared in the beam of light cast down through said hole above.
Great! Now she was hallucinating!
"You're not hallucinating!" The female replied with a laugh, "But you do look ridiculous splayed out on the ground like that! Is that how you want him to find you?"
"Who?" She let out.
And now she was talking back to her hallucinations. This was awesome, not! Talk about a third degree concussion.
"Your mate! He's coming, you know!"
Shit, Lync!
"Who are you?" Navina managed to get the words out properly. "What are you doing here?"
"Saving your sorry ass, again!" The female crossed her arms, that long blonde hair falling down her back, covering the bow she kept hidden.
"Why?" Navina spat out.
"I come down here to save your punk ass, and you ask why?"
"I don't mean it like that,but, why would you come down here to save me? Seriously?" Navina mumbled.
What was she doing here? Not that she was complaining,as she clearly needing rescuing.
"You, intrigue me!" The female chuckled, "There's something about you that I just can't shake. You're like an insolent child, never listening to the rules,always wandering off and getting yourself into trouble..."
Blah, blah, blah! That's what Navina heard, "I swear to the Gods..." She started, her head, pounding.
"Yeah, you should probably call them! I'm no good at the whole, Human bonding thing."
Shit!
Of all the things and places... Where is Lync?"
"Should be shimmying his way down the passage way about now, quick little fucker he is!"
"He's mine!" Navina growled,just as he would have, had their roles been reversed.
"Is he now? And here I thought you were in the mood to share!" The female rolled her eyes at Navina. "Seriously, get the hell off the ground!"
"I do not take orders!"
"Fine, leave yourself in a heap, so when Lync, or whoever happens to pass through next, can find you and do just about anything they want, to your helpless wreck of a body."
Damn, she was not very nice this time!
This time! Shit, that was right! This was the female from the battlefield, and again after the...
"You were at the beach house!"
"Very good! Now, can you get up so we can go?"
"Go, where?"
"Maybe over to that crawlspace so the next heard in invaders can, you know, not, see you!"The female rolled her eyes again as she pointed towards the darkness. "Trust me, you do not want to see what hell has in store!"
"As if you've, been to hell!" Navina rolled her eyes this time,and tried to roll over.
"Have you met my sisters?" The female laughed, "No, you haven't, cause you're still alive!"
"Ha ha!" She rolled her eyes again.
Seriously? This was what she was hallucinating? Couldn't be that doctor what's her name,with the purple eyes?
"You're taking forever!"
"Here's an idea, why don't you come over here and help me then?" Navina shot out, as her second attempt at moving, failed.
"I can't!" She replied.
"You what?"
"I can't! You're not dead!" The female sighed and shook her head.
"Well that clears that up!" Navina laughed, and tried to move again.
Slowly, one arm at a time, and then the legs, she managed to army crawl her way across the ground.
"I can't touch you, because you're not dead! Official rules, no joke!" She added.
"And what do I call you, oh one, who cannot touch me?"
"That's classified, as well! But you can call me Mal for now!" The female smiled, just as Navina made it to the crawlspace.
Just in time too, as the sounds of footsteps, drown out the words that the female was speaking; enough to ave Navina covering her ears as they passed by. Dozens of voices, hundreds even, all of them scurrying by, shouting and cursing, there sss ....
Shoohk?
Oh gods! Was this real? Where the invaders, Shoohk? And which clan?
She had to open her eyes, she had to peek at the color of their fur, but what she saw, was more than just the Shoohk. There were others there as well...