The Null

What was this place, so filled with darkness, and surrounded in pools of molten rock? She had never been here before, nor had she seen its reflection in any of the memories she'd encountered. Nothing but fallen trees, their ends charred as they hung out over those deep, treacherous lakes of lava, and the rocky overhangs that loomed in the distance, marking the winding trail before her.
Dark and ominous, she had but one road to follow, one path that she hoped would lead her out of this nightmare; and so she started towards the eerie tower, and what may lay beyond it. She was frightened, her stomach rolled up in a ball and hiding in her throat, her words unable to get out, even if she had had something to say.
Towering rocks, smoking ruins, a breeze so warm it could choke the life out of you. This was, for lack of a better word, Hell. Nothing could live here, except the Demons and such that roamed beneath the surface, if there were any...
Up ahead, she could heat the bubbling pool, saw the path that wound around it, and in the distance, the fortress that took up most of the horizon. It was massive, with hundreds of windows with bars covering them, lanterns and torches lighting up the stone bridge that led to the main doors.
The closer she got, the more terrified she became, her heart in a grip like a vice as she pushed herself to move on. There had to be away out of here, there had to be a door, and if this monstrosity before her was where she needed to go...
The bridge was long and wide, covered in a red carpet with black trim, and it passed two pools, or rather ponds, before making its way to the front doors.Looking up she could see the giant stained glass windows, looming high above the big wooden doors, but when she reached for large golden door knockers, the doors seemed to open on their own.
Inside she found pillars covered in torches, lounge chairs surrounding giant bookshelves, and a huge set of stone steps that led to a massive throne. To one side lay a fireplace, just as big as everything else in the room, beside it a set of doors, though she had no idea where they'd lead. To the other side of the throne was a set of stairs, ones that beckoned for her to climb them, a sense of welcome lingering near the top calling her towards it.
She followed the carpet all the way up, making sure to watch out for more bookcases and loungers, potted plants and tables covered in even more books... Whoever lived here, lived in what looked like a library, and she was careful not to disturb anything.
The book shelves gave way to a long hallway, doors lining each side; and at the end of it, another set of stairs. Ascending them step by step, she listened for any form of life, but there was nothing but the sound of her own footsteps.
This was hopeless, there was no one here. No one to help her through this nonsense, no one to explain what was going on... What was wrong with this vision? Why couldn't she leave?
'Because you have not seen what needs to be seen!' A voice laughed out, so soft and innocent, and yet, there was no one there.
'I have always been here, or so I have been told!' It laughed again, and she felt the warm breeze wash past her.
'And where is here?' She asked, her own voice sounding so strange.
'The Null, of course!'
What was The Null? Where, was The Null? How did she get out?
'Those are all amazing questions! Perhaps you can find one to answer them!'
'Can't you, answer them for me?' She inquired, still looking for whoever was speaking to her.
'I don't know! Can I?'
'I don't have time for games!' She blurted out, and then shook her head.
'Then, why are you here?'
'Where is here?' She asked again, rolling her eyes at nothing.
'A better question, would be, when is here?'
'Excuse me?'
'Past, present, and future! It's all the same in here! You will see...'
'I don't want to see, I want to get out!'
'Then leave!' The voice giggled, as if it should have been the easiest thing ever, so, why hadn't it happened yet?
She wanted to leave this place, she wanted to get back to the ship, to Lync...
'But he is not on the ship!' The voice reminded her, 'And your mind, your heart, wants safety. It wants to be where he is.'
'Then where is he? Where is Lync?' She wanted answers. She needed them.
'He's waiting for you, go to him!' The voice replied, but it sounded so, final; fading in to the shadows.
'Where is he?' But there was no reply. 'Hello?'
Where had the voice gone? Where, was she supposed to go now? Go to him, sure, if she knew where he was, she'd go there in a heartbeat... Instead, she took to roaming the halls,opening every door she could find, hoping, searching for a way out.