ten

phil

"this is the most disgusting thing i have ever put in my mouth," dan spits out a piece of almost raw cauliflower and then wipes his mouth, screwing his face in disgust. i just scowl at him, pulling my plate a little closer to me so that dan doesn't accidentally spit in it, and proceed to roll my plastic fork into the pasta.

"i mean, i thought nobody could fuck up pasta but i am always proven wrong like," he holds up a forkful of pasta, the runny sauce dripping down and i resist my urge to gag. "look at this shit,"

it's five minutes later of me playing with my food that dan gets annoyed and slaps my fork out of my hand, standing up abruptly and grabbing my arm, dragging me out of the dining hall towards the canteen area.

"dan what the hell—"

"shut up, did you really want to eat that? i'm not going to let us suffer in this bullshit camp," he raises his voice and i shush him a little bit before crossing my arms across my chest.

the way he says "us" sounds a little considerate and makes me want to pat him on the back for not being a dick, but i know he just wants to split the money for the food we buy because there's no way he can buy food continuously for two weeks.

"alright, what do you think we should do then?" i raise my eyebrows at him and he seems to think about it for a moment before clapping his hands excitedly.

"my mum! she packed a wireless kettle for us to make coffee in the morning!"

"so you're saying we're going to survive on coffee instead of eating actual food? i mean i like coffee but—"

"oh my god phil, you idiot, i mean like, we can buy loads of cup noodles and eat them instead because they are cheap as hell," he snorts, but his eyes light up at the idea as he stares expectantly at me.

"i don't know if i can eat cup noodles everyday," i trail off, scratching the back of my head but dan just rolls his eyes at me, not interested in my opinion.

"i don't care, i'm buying cup noodles for both of us, and you have to split the amount," he waves his hand dismissively at me and before i can even open my mouth to protest, dan has bought twenty cups of noodles, turning around for me to give him money.

"excuse me, this should be consensual," i complain, taking out my wallet and handing him the money anyway, while he snickers annoyingly, grabbing the giant polythene bag and shoving it in my hands.

"why am i holding the bag?" i whine and dan just shrugs ignorantly, making me want to kick his face in return.

"you are such an ass," i tell him but he just smiles at me sarcastically, grabbing my arm again and dragging me towards the same path from where we came.

"where are we going?"

"back to the tent," dan finally speaks, pulling out the flashlight from his pocket and shining it onto the crumpled leaves. "why? you wanted to stay?" he asks, but begins walking anyway as i follow him, the polythene bag is now hanging from one of my hands, brushing against my leg every once in a while and making an annoying rustling sound.

"not really," i reply, stepping away from dan slightly so our arms aren't touching and dan just whips his head over to me, his eyes lowered a little bit, and his cheeks visibly pink, even in the dark.

"what's wrong?" i ask him and he just shakes his head, looking away and wrapping one of his arms around his waist, anxiously looking around, his torch flicking from the ground to the tree barks every once in a while.

"are you," i begin and he already tilts his head down his lips pursed. "are you scared of the dark?" i ask him again and he just shakes his head this time, not bothering to come up with his analogy of only 5 year old children being scared of it.

"it's okay if you are, i'm not teasing you," i offer for him to tell me but he just gives me a murderous glare.

"i said i'm okay, i-i'm not scared," he says through gritted teeth and i just raise my hands up in defence, not bothering to say anything.

i would've helped if he told me.

--

a month without uploading she comes back–