forty one

phil

"look who's back after a wild night," dan snickers as soon as i step into the tent, my brain a little bit foggy and my throat dry. why the hell did i think drinking and staying up the entire night was a good idea? i ignore dan, still feeling slightly bitter towards him after last night and try to ignore the way he's staring at me with puffy eyes—shrewdly—but still puffy.

"came back to share a tent with an attention seeker? did your boyfriend not have enough space in his?" his voice is taunting but i know he's just pissed that i called him out on what he was doing. he knows he only accepted abel's invitation because he wanted attention from all the 'cool' people.

"i'm not taking back what i said," i say quietly, taking out my sleeping bag from the corner it was previously stuffed in.

"you're a dick," he mumbles, and when i look over at him he's picking at his fingernails with flushed cheeks.

"so are you," i resist the urge of running my fingers through his tangled hair and kissing his cheeks repeatedly and crawl into my 'bed', my itchy fingers winding into my own hair to push it off my forehead.

"you left me alone at that party," he accuses me in a small voice and i want to blame myself completely just so he doesn't feel guilty of anything. i push that thought aside.

"you took me to that party,"

"i didn't say you have to come,"

"then why are you mad that i left?" i raise my eyebrows and he huffs out a breath before muttering something under his breath and turning his back towards me, quietly ending our argument. in my fuzzy head, it makes perfect sense to just fall back asleep without prodding the answers out of him and sorting out our petty fight, and so, i do just that. i stretch my legs in the limited space and take my glasses off before willing myself to sleep.

it's a lot less comfortable when dan's warm body isn't wrapped around me but my exhaustion makes up for it for now.

+

dan's ignorance is a bit harsher on me now that i'm fully awake with a pounding headache, his eyes fixed on his plate and his fingers loosely moving a plastic fork in his food. thank god he hasn't left to chill with his other friends, that would be a whole lot dismal for me but this isn't very great either. he's been like this since morning, he hasn't spoken a word after he kindly threw a bottle of advil in my direction.

maybe i really pissed him off.

"are you mad at me?" i decide to open my mouth uselessly and he gives me a look. a look that yells 'no shit phil', but i still raise my eyebrows in confusion.

he doesn't say anything.

"well?" i push and he rolls his eyes.

"i'm not doing this right now," he snaps.

"doing what?" nice question phil.

"this," he pauses to drop his fork on his plate and pinches the bridge of his nose. "you're not going to admit you're wrong and i'm not going to apologise, so it's better if you just mind your own fucking business," his words hurt a little bit but they are mostly amusing. i know him well enough to know he doesn't actually mean this and if i actually stop trying to apologise, he will skin me alive.

"what if i admit i'm wrong?" i look at him with pursed lips and he stabs his food in frustration, obviously not expecting me to say what he actually wants to hear.

i mean i know i'm not wrong, it is still his fault, but fortunately, he's cute and i like him and everybody comes with flaws and that is just one of his. i can't really stay mad at him for long when camp is ending in three days.

"shut up," he replies weakly and i kick him playfully under the table, causing him to kick back aggressively and glare at me.

"i'll buy you cookies," i poke his hand with my finger and his cheeks flush.

"fine but i'm still mad at you,"

"whatever you say baby,"

--
listen tbh all my teenage angst fights are meaningless and end without confrontation so i hope this makes sense???? they are literally 17 they can't have Too Much Serious Drama im sorry if u wanted angst but anyway tag urself im dan