Chapter 8 - Tris POV

Friday, November 14th

It's Friday. Last day of the week, and the night of the male dancers. It'll be interesting to hear the stories on Saturday. Eric usually has one girl come in to help bar tend or work backstage with Peter on these once a month occasions. I've never been called in, but Christina has. Actually she was called in the last time they were at Dauntless on October 17th. Tori before her on September 19th. Christina says she has conflicting emotions about it; on one hand it's great to see the male dancers, but on the other, she has to work and help with whatever Peter says. Sounds fabulous.

It's nearing winter, but my room feels like it's on fire. Or maybe it's just me.

I'm plagued by nightmare after nightmare no matter how much I try to knock myself into an unconscious state. I need sleep. Just one good night sleep without all of the problems in my life getting in and taking control. Max. Eric. Edward. Now Professor Thompson. Everything is going to shit. Then there's my T.A. from Shakespeare. God that T.A. It's like he takes pleasure in watching me when he thinks I'm not looking. I honestly can't tell anymore if it's because he knows me from Dauntless or not. I've never seen him there before so I would hope he doesn't know me as my alter ego, but who can say what is real anymore?

I know Christina has had her eye on me more recently, and not just in the best friend kind of way, but more of the I know there's something you're not telling me way. For the most part she's stayed silent.

My bed creaks as I sit up and swing my legs over the edge. The bright red numbers on my alarm clock read 8:21am. I don't need to get up for another two hours really. Having gone to bed at 3:30am I could use the sleep. My body and my mind just aren't agreeing with one another. I'll just end up sucking down another one of those horrible tasting energy drinks that the lead manager of Erudite invented in her spare time.

Jeanine Mathews. The wicked witch in the good fairy's clothing. All of Max's clubs have the lead manger, like Eric is for Dauntless. In Amity, they have a woman named Johanna Reyes, though I'm pretty sure she doesn't realize what exactly the other clubs participate in. In Candor, it's a guy named Jack Kang. I don't know much about him, but I've heard that he dropped out of law school to be a male dancer for Max, and then ended up running a club himself cause he and Max became such good friends. Abnegation is led by a guy named Marc Easton. Get this, he's apparently a government worker as well. Only, no one knows this kind of business he's in. No one really knows who leads the Gutter. The whole place is a stinking secret. Literally.

Jeanine on one hand, seems like a nice woman. She's smart and knows how to keep her agenda hidden. But in the end, she'll be ready to strip you of everything you are.

I decide to get up and get ready since I know I won't be able to go back to sleep. Dressing in a simple dark red short sleeved shirt, black jeans and a dark gray jacket I head out the door and go to the library, killing a few hours before class begins. How am I going to look Professor Thompson in the eyes now?

The bell in the clock tour rings when it's time for class. With a heavy breath and a lump in my stomach, I begin the day.

I enter my Contemporary Editing class with my head down, as I've been doing for the last few weeks. Only this time it's different. Ever since Professor Thompson realized who I was, I've been worried about him. But I didn't used to show it. Before, I would hold my head up high, participate, and act like nothing was wrong. He had gotten a little handsy after class more than a few times now. I fear he will begin to show up at Dauntless more. After last night's private dance, he only ever stayed in the crowd, never even came up to the stage to shove money into my skimpy outfits. Just watched me from his seat, a satisfied smirk on his face. It made my skin crawl.