Chapter 9

Liams POV-

I closed my eyes and let out a deep breath. I don't want to tell her about this, she'll surely bolt out of the place before I can even finish. "Well- uh my problem, it started in high school. I started doing really bad stuff, I actually got drunk for the first time before high school. Yeah, but- uh, things progressively got worse I guess. I started smoking weed and going to parties, the usual high school experience. Then it got bad. I hooked up with a lot of girls, used a lot of people to get what I wanted."

"I started getting tattoos after my first few run ins doing heroine. My parents didn't know what to do, and I feel awful for putting then through all of this. I got arrested once my sophomore year and then I started snorting coke. I stopped all that stuff recently because I want to get better, I just don't know how."

She looked at me, her expression blank. "Dammit, say something. Please, just say something." I thought, running my hand through my hair. I don't even know why I don't want her to run, most of the time I stay away from girls like her, but there's just something about her. She opened her mouth to say something, then shut it again like she couldn't get the words out. Well here I am, trying to start new and my not so old past is haunting me.

"I know it's a lot to take in, if you wanna go you can, I don't blame you if you never want to talk to me again." I said, my voice a lot less powerful than I expected. She shook her head, then did something I would have never expected. She wrapped her small arms around me, putting her head on my shoulder. I tensed at her touch, but hugged her back after the shock subsided.

"That's really insane, but I'm willing to look away from the past since you obviously want to start fresh." She said, and my jaw dropped. "Really? Most people would turn their back and turn me in to the police." "I guess I'm not like most people then." "Why not? I mean, what makes me special, why did you even talk to me that first day of class?"

I waited for her answer, she had this look on her face like it embarrassed her to tell me. I mean, I just gave the girl my life story, the least she can do is tell me why she's so damn interested in me. "You just gave off this vibe that drew me to you I guess. I can't really explain it, but I feel like you're someone I can trust. You just gave me a really genuine vibe, and I like that so I started talking to you." She said, her cheeks flushed. Wow, this is definitely a first. I don't really know how to process all of this, it's just weird to have someone call me genuine.

Delilah's POV-

He looked at me for a while, shock clear in his face. I can tell he's not used to being approached like this, he seems like the kind of guarded guy who's used to scaring people off because of how he looks. I know we're polar opposites, but that doesn't mean we can't be friends. Just because he's covered in piercings and ink doesn't mean I can't like him. We're different, but we're both human. He looks so out of place at our small college, but that's part of why I like him so much. He stands out, and I really appreciate that.

"Well, thanks, it means a lot to have someone say that, not many people have said that." He said, scratching the back of his neck. He seemed so much less guarded around me, but he was still questioning me, I can tell by his awkwardness. I'm good at reading people, and he's locked like a safe. I haven't encountered anyone like him since high school, but it's not a sin to insecure.

After what felt like ages of talking, we got to "studying." I wouldn't consider it that, since Liam kept cracking jokes about how stupid people were before technology came around. I couldn't help but laugh, it was actually hilarious. "You know, I could see you in this time like, 'God help me, I need internet and Taco Bell!" I laughed, clutching my stomach. "You're damn right I would be, I couldn't live as a caveman, I would fall over an die!" He wheezed back , tears streaming down his face from laughing so hard.

I glanced at the clock and realized it was half past eleven. "Liam, I have to go, it's so late." I said, gathering my things. "I guess I'll see you around then? We should do this more often." He smiled, handing me my bag. "Of course, text me later and we'll set something up!" I hugged him and made my way out of room. He led me and told me to drive safe, then I was left alone in my car to think about how tonight made me feel.

Liam's POV-

When I walked into the apartment after walking Delilah to her car, the guys threw questions. "Jesus guys, let a man sit down! This is gonna turn into a classroom if you don't calm the fuck down." I chuckled, taking a seat on the couch. "What was so funny, I could hear you two laughing from the balcony." Niall asked, a sly grin on his face. "We were joking back and forth, it was all pretty damn hilarious. Now knock that silly grin off your face before I do it for you." I teased, smacking him in the back of the head.

I answered all of their burning questions, laughing at their stupid, teenage girl like reactions. I can tell they're happy that I'm finally talking to someone other than them, but the want for drugs is still there. Zayn can see that, but he's a smart guy so I'm not surprised. I'm not saying the others are stupid, he just catches on a lot faster.

After Harry and Louis finally left and Niall went to bed, Zayn and I talked. "How are you feeling?" "A lot better. I mean the burning feeling for a fix is still inside of me, I feel like it's always gonna be there, but I feel really good. Tonight just kind of proved to me that not everyone thinks I'm some kind of psychopathic addict. Del is a nice girl, I really don't want to bring her into my life, but I feel like she won't leave. I like her, I really do, I'm just scared to get her into my mess of a life, you know?" "I understand. You saw what happened with me and that girl Haylie a couple years back. I don't want you to go through that. But Delilah seems like a strong girl, just don't try and tear her down."

Me and Zayn spent a while talking, and it felt good to unload. I've always trusted him, he's my best friend after all. He's always been here for me, so I have every right to trust him. At about two thirty I decided it was time to go to bed, and the second I fell asleep, the nightmares began.