California

I gazed around the airport as I came off the four hour flight. I was a bit tired, but I knew that sleep could wait.

Mark had given me the plane ticket and had me come two weeks in advance of the con to his home in California.

Needless to say I was nervous about staying with Mark.

It wasn't as if I didn't trust him. He was my friend and he had all my trust in the world, but just the fact that my whole everyday routine was thrown out of whack it caused my anxiety to flare and I didn't know much of what to do now.

Nichole: I'm in the airport. Are you here yet?

I quickly typed and sent the message as I pulled my roll along suitcase behind me and my backpack on my back.

I knew instantly that the moment I came off the plane that I had made the mistake of wearing my usual black jeans and my grey Nintendo shirt.

I had forgotten just how much warmer it was over in California compared to our shitty Indiana weather.

On top of that it didn't help that I was wearing a black beanie over my head to complete my outfit.

I sighed and dragged my thing over to a nearby bench that was located in the lobby of the airport.

Right as I sat down my phone vibrated. I pulled it out and seen that it was Mark.

Mark: Hey sorry! Amy wanted some Starbucks so we're at the one located in the lobby! Won't be but a minute, she just placed her order.

I rolled my eyes as I read the text. To have a Starbucks in an airport spoke volumes about the type of people in this town... city? I wasn't sure what to call it where I come from we don't really have cities... we have small country farms and towns.

I pushed myself up from the bench and walked through the lobby to where I seen the large white and green Starbucks sign.

I rolled my bag over to it and stopped and peered inside.

I zoned the area and noticed a short man that wore a dark blue t-shirt and had a grey hat on. Standing next to him was an even shorter blonde.

I walked up to the man right as the woman walked away.

I tapped the man on the shoulder. The small tap caused him to turn around quickly and we were literally face to face since we were just a few centimeters apart in height.

"Nichole!"

Mark said a bit louder than he needed to do. I smiled and gasped a bit as he wrapped his arms around me for an unexpected hug.

I let go of my suitcase and returned the hug. We stood there for I dunno how long as he continued to just hold me.

We were way past the point where he should have pulled away, but I didn't move either.

Finally he pulled back, but oddly enough kept his hands on my arms.

"I'm so glad you came! I can't wait to show you all the cool shit we've got around here! We're gonna have an awesome time!"

I said giving a laugh. I smiled and nodded. I then took a moment to notice the bags under his eyes.

"Mark? Are you okay?"

I asked sounding worried. Mark looked at me weird as if trying to figure out for himself why I had asked.

"You look like the dead. Have you been getting enough sleep?"

Mark then laughed as he allowed his hands to finally drop from my arms.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah! I'm good! I'm good! I just had to work a little overtime this last week to get all the videos ready for the next three weeks."

"Damn it, Mark!"

I snapped, causing him to go wide-eyed as he stared at me.

I felt my cheeks puff outward as they always did whenever I became mad or upset about something.

"Don't you know by now that your health is important!? I would have thought that after all the times you got sick and then went to the hospital -- you'd learn something."

I said lowering my voice slightly toward the end of my concern. Mark just blinked as he looked at me.

He seemed rather speechless after my tone of voice.

"I -- I keep forgetting that you've watched my videos for that long..."

He said as I watched him. My eyes widened as he gave a soft smile. I don't know what it was if it was anything at all, but my heart was racing right now.

I didn't understand why it was doing it right now.

But the way Mark looked at me...

"Hey! You're Nichole right?"

The blonde asked as she came walking back over with coffee in her hand.

I looked to her and I instantly felt butterflies in my stomach. I couldn't help but smile at the extremely beautiful young woman.

"Yes...."

I managed to say, trying my best to not swoon over the woman. She smiled and held out her hand.

"I'm Amy! Nice to finally meet you in person!"

"Nice to meet you too, Pebbels."

I said with a small amount of cheer in my voice. She gave a light hearted laugh.

"Mark said you follow us all on Twitter!"

She smiled. I nodded and looked between her and Mark both. I shuffled from one foot to another and waited for someone to speak.

Mark just smiled and shook his head real fast almost as if realization just hit him. He lifted his hands up causing Amy and I both to look at him.

"Well, now that we're all here we may as well head home!"

We all agreed and I waited for Mark and Amy to lead the way. I followed behind them both slowly, watching as Amy and Mark chatted with one another.

I felt my heart sank as they spoke to each other so cheerfully, mostly Mark doing all the talking, like they had known each other forever.

I felt myself sinking back into the background noise as I walked slower and slower, neither one of them noticing me.

Finally I stopped walking all together and waited, but neither one of them stopped to look at me.

And then that's when realization hit me.

I had faded into the crowd.