Third Wheel

I had expected to have fun during my stay with Mark just as I had fun with Wade, Molly and Mark when I went to Wade's place.

But it was completely different with Amy there.

They lived together, which was something I hadn't expected.

I didn't even know how long they had been dating, let alone knew that they had lived together.

I placed my bags at the foot of the bed. I had yet to unpack and had already been here for two days.

Mark had offered me up the spare bedroom which was right down the hall from Mark and Amy's room.

I sat there on my bed and listened from behind my closed door as Mark was screaming at the TV. Him and Amy were playing a game together.

He had asked me if I wanted to join, but I had denied after he said Amy was going to play as well.

I seen the look on Mark's face after I had rejected his offer.

I closed my eyes and placed my head in my hands.

He seemed so confused and hurt. I hadn't meant for it to happen, but I just couldn't be around Amy right now.

She was nice, but after my first night here her niceness suddenly shifted and she seemed to just be putting it on to please Mark.

Apparently he hadn't informed her about how long I would be staying. She thought it was only a couple of days -- not two weeks.

I felt my bottom lip quivering as I bit it to try to stop it, hurting it in the process.

I felt as if I was imposing with Amy, which I knew I was and she was making it clear to me, but oblivious to Mark so that I would know.

I pulled my head from my hands suddenly when a knock sounded on the door.

"Nichole? Are you okay?"

It was Mark.

I looked down at the bedsheets and nodded, feeling stupid because I knew he couldn't see me behind the closed door.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

I called out. I watched as the door cracked open but stopped.

"Can I come in?"

He asked, making sure it was okay before proceeding inside.

"Yeah, it's fine."

I said as I watched the door open. Mark came inside and walked over to me, but not before shutting the door back behind him.

"Are you okay?"

He asked, his voice concerned as he walked over to the bed and took a seat across from me.

I placed my hand on my head and punched the brim of my nose.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I've just got a headache."

I said, trying to play off my real reason as to why I wasn't out there with them. Mark frowned as he shifted to lay down across the bed. Proving his elbow up and placing his head in his hand as he looked at me from the foot of the bed in front of my bags.

"You know, I can tell something's wrong. We've been talking long enough that I know by now. Seriously, what's wrong, Nichole?"

I lowered my hand from my face a frowned deeply. I sighed softly.

I wasn't about ready to tell him that Amy had a problem with me being here. I wasn't about ready to have them start a fight or for Mark to be mad at me.

I knew that it had been a long time since he had truly been happy, and I was just background noise now.

"It's my anxiety." I said truthful, "Amy is a new person and I'm just not use to being around her this much so suddenly."

I knew part of the reason why I felt like shit was because of my anxiety, that was no lie -- just not the whole truth.

"Really? That's what's wrong?"

Mark asked as he proped himself up more on the bed looking at me. I looked him in the eyes and nodded. He sighed deeply and almost looked relieved.

"I know this sounds shitty, but I'm glad it's not me."

"What? What do you mean you're glad it's not you?"

I asked now confused. Mark looked at me with an unreadable expression.

"I thought I had done something wrong. Every time I've asked you to do something you've rejected it. But now thinking back, Amy was involved as well... I had completely forgotten that you had anxiety... I'm sorry, Nichole."

I blinked and felt my cheeks wet. My eyes widened, why was I crying? I blinked a few more times and wiped my eyes with the back of my hand.

I looked down at Mark and he looked at me wide-eyed.

"Sorry..."

I muttered. His eyes softened as if he understood.

"You don't have to apologize for something that isn't your fault. How many times do you need to be told that you dork?"

"Enough till it sinks in I guess?"

I joked eith a small laugh. Mark smiled as he sat back up on the bed and opened his arms.

I leaned into him and I felt his big and strong arms engulf me. I placed my head on his shoulder and took a deep breath as I placed my hands on his back.

I smelt like his body wash -- which smelt like that rain forest or mounting air body wash that a majority of men use.

We sat there like that for a while. He made no notion of moving and neither did I.

It was nice to finally spend some alone time with him... even if it was for him to comfort my depressed self.