sixteen

Luke sat across from Alyssa the next day at a small cafe in downtown New York. Alyssa had been scrolling through her phone for the past twenty minutes, leaving Luke nothing to do but stare out the window, trapped in his own thoughts. Not that he minded. He spent most of the time thinking about Lilah, and Corrine.

Alyssa set her phone down at looked at Luke. "So how do you like New York?" she asked him. Luke snapped out of his thoughts, turning to face her.

"I love it." he replied.

"I've always wanted to come to New York. It's so pretty." Alyssa smiled.

"It is quite beautiful." Luke couldn't disagree with her on that.

"Although the people . . . not so much." she said with a laugh. Luke laughed too.

"It all depends on who you know. I mean, my mother lives up here. As does Ashton's sister Lauren, and Calum's sister Mali." he said.

"Seems as if you've got yourself a pretty tight knit family here." she smiled. "I wish I had that. It's hard though. I travel a lot. Never really get to see home."

"I know how you feel." Luke said. "I haven't been in New York for three years." Alyssa's eyes widened.

"That long?!" Luke nodded with a laugh.

"Yeah, it's crazy. I've been all over the world basically, but this is still one of my favourite places."

"Why's that?"

"The food." he lied.

"The food?" she asked skeptically. Luke laughed again.

"Nah, I love it here, because it provides inspiration." that part was true. But Luke loved New York for more than that. Not that he would tell Alyssa.

"Well, you've got to show me your favourite spot."

"Come on then."

Instead of taking Alyssa to his favourite spot (his favourite spot was a library that Corrine took him too when they first moved here.), he took her to his second favourite spot. A small park near the cafe they ate lunch at. Alyssa breathed in the air as they sat on the edge of the fountain that was there. There weren't a lot of people here, it was getting much colder now that it was nearing the end of October. "It's lovely. Thank you for bringing me here." she said.

"No problem." Alyssa's phone buzzed. She pulled it out of her pocket to check it. She sighed.

"I have to go. I have a photo shoot. I enjoyed today." she said, standing. Luke stood with her.

"Me too." he partially lied. "While he enjoyed his day, he wasn't sure if he enjoyed Alyssa's company. Her next action, however, determined that for him. Alyssa stood on her tip toes, pressing a gentle kiss to his lips.

"See you around Luke." she smiled, and sauntered off. Luke stood frozen on the sidewalk, internally freaking out.

"Fuck." he hissed.

Upon arriving back at the apartment, Luke found that Corrine and Lilah weren't home, leaving him even more time to freak out. He sat at the kitchen counter, a cup of coffee in front of him, an argued with himself for the next hour about what happened. "If I tell her, there's the possibility that she'll hate me, or forgive me, and not kill me because I actually told her." he told himself. "But if I don't tell her, then she won't freak out. But if she finds out that I didn't tell her, then she'll probably kill me, and think that I don't trust her enough to tell her these kinds of things. The door opened, and Luke jumped. Lilah came running into the apartment, and caught sight of Luke. "Hey baby girl." he said, picking her up into a hug."

"Hi Daddy." she said, hugging him back.

"How was your day."

"It was good." she said.

"Great." Luke smiled at her, and set her back down on the ground. Lilah picked up her bag, and ran off into her room. Luke looked over to Corrine who was closing the door. As soon as Lilah left the room, Corrine turned around, and the look on her face scared Luke to no end. She marched over to him, and slammed a photo down onto the counter.

"You better have a fucking good excuse Lucas as to what is happening because I am not explaining to Lilah as to why her father is kissing another woman." she hissed under her breath. Luke flinched. He stared down at the photo. He sighed, resting his head in his hands.

"She kissed me." he said.

"I'm sorry, you want to repeat that?"

"She fucking kissed me." Luke spat, lifting his head to look at her. "She caught me off guard, and kissed me. I didn't ask her too and I sure as hell didn't want her to. I never wanted to be in this dammed PDR stunt in the first place because of shit like this. I'm trying my hardest not to loose you again, and apparently the world is fucking against it." Luke pulled at his hair in frustration. "I don't like her like that. It's just for publicity. I love you, okay. I would never hurt you like that." he whispered, close to tears. Corrine took a seat of the counter, and ran her hand through his hair.

"I'm sorry for snapping." she said softly. "I guess I'm a little paranoid." Luke stood up, stepping in between Corrine's legs, snaking his arms around her waist.

"You have every right to be. I know this isn't easy for you." he said. "And I'm trying. I really am. I don't want to loose you like last time over some stupid PDR stunt. I don't care what management does, I won't ever leave you." he kissed her forehead. "Forgive me?"

"I forgive you." Corrine said. "For now, let's not tell Lilah. She doesn't need the stress."

"Agreed."

"Speaking of Lilah, you know she wants a tattoo." Corrine said, with a smile. Luke's face paled.

"Absolutely not." he stated. Corrine laughed.

"You know, I always thought that you'd be the chill, laid back, fun parent, but you're no fun at all." she said. Luke leaned down, nipping at her neck.

"I'm no fun" he whispered in her ear. He trailed his hands up her sides.

"Luke, Lilah is literally just down the hall."

"Then I guess you'll have to be quiet." he suggested. Corrine gasped, smacking his chest playfully.

"Dad!" Lilah shouted, running into the kitchen. Luke glanced over at her.

"What's wrong?" he asked, a little worried.

"I have something for you." she said. She sat up on one of the stools.

"What's that?" Lilah handed his a piece of paper.

"It's an invitation." she said. "I made it for you." Luke opened the envelope, and opened the folded piece of paper. "It's for my piano recital."

"Right, that's this month." he said. He grinned. "Well, I will definitely be there."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

"Is Daddy staying for dinner?" Lilah asked.

"I don't know. Are you free?" Corrine asked Luke. He checked his phone.

"For know, until stated otherwise."

"Good. Because we're having pizza." there was silence between the three before Lilah looked at them.

"I won't tell Michael if you don't tell Michael."