twenty-three

Silence. The silence was absolutely nerve racking for Luke.

Corrine's eyes were wide with surprise. She hadn't expected that from Luke. She hadn't expected him to pop the question. Luke bit his lip nervously. "Cory say something . . . anything, please." he pleaded, sadness filling his eyes.

"Y-You want to marry me?" she asked him, her voice a little higher than usual. Luke nodded his head. At his point he was expecting her to run away. He was not expecting her to say yes. Corrine practically tackled the boy, wrapping her arms around his neck, bringing him in for a kiss. Luke had to grip her waist and the side of the couch to keep from falling over. Before he could respond to her, Corrine pulled away, looking him in the eye. "Yes." she whispered. Luke tensed underneath her.

"Yes?" Corrine nodded, smiling. Luke pulled her in for another kiss, smiling too. "I love you." he whispered against her lips. "I love you so so much."

"I love you to Luke." she replied. Corrine leaned back to look at him. He was grinning as if Christmas had came early this year. He leaned his forehead against against hers. He reached into the pocket of the sweater he was wearing and pulled out the black box. He held it out in front of her. Corrine took it from him and opened it. She gasped.

"Do you like it?" he asked.

"I love it." Luke took the ring from the box, placing on her finger. Corrine kissed him. "I guess I can't call you my boyfriend anymore, can I?" she said.

"What do you mean?"

"You're my fiance now." she grinned, biting her bottom lip. Luke frowned.

"Don't do that." he pouted.

"Don't do what?" she asked innocently.

"What am I going to do with you?" he groaned. He felt her lips brush up against his ear.

"Whatever you want." she whispered, kissing the base of his neck. Luke picked her up, carrying her to the bedroom.

"Careful what you wish for baby girl." he warned.

"Or what?"

"Why don't we find out?"

Everyone gathered around Liz's living room later that evening. "Does anyone know what's going on?" Lauren asked. Delilah grinned.

"I know what's happening." she said.

"What?" Michael asked.

"I can't tell you Mikey. Not until mom and dad show up."

"How come she's in on it?" Ashton frowned.

"You'll find out soon Ash." Lilah giggled. They heard the front door open. Luke walked into the living room, his hand intertwined with Corrine's. Before they could say anything, Lilah stopped them. "Did you say yes?" she asked her mother. Corrine gave her a confused look. Luke laughed.

"She said yes."

"YES!"

"Oh." Corrine said, pointing to Luke. "So that's what you two where being so secretive about this morning." Luke nodded. "I guess I didn't have to be worried after all."

"Um . . . We're lost." Calum said.

"Take a good look at me Cal, and tell me what's different." Corrine said. Calum shook his head.

"Nothing. You still look the same."

"I know." Liz said, a smile appearing on her face. She approached Corrine, pulling her in for a hug. "Welcome to the family dear."

"Thanks Liz."

"I'm still lost." Michael said.

"Mikey," Lilah said. He looked down at the seven year old.

"Yeah sweetheart?"

"They're getting married." she said.

"Oh. OH!" Michael's face lit up. "CONGRATS!"

"Bout time." Ashton said. "You've had that ring for what, two months now?" Luke nodded.

"You had it all that time?" Corrine said. Luke went red.

"Yeah . . ." he said.

"My little sister's all grown up." Owen sniffed.

"Just because you're taller does not mean that I'm little." Corrine said.

"I know, I know." Owen embraced her in a bone crushing hug.

"Can't. Breath." she mumbled.

"Sorry." Calum, Ashton, and Michael gave her a big hug.

"It's finally happening." Michael said. "We're having a wedding." Corrine laughed, and then caught sight of Lauren. She could see she was thinking.

"Oh no you don't." she said to Lauren.

"What?" Lauren asked.

"I see the wheels turning in your head, and I'm warning you now, that I'm spending the next month in bed before I even think about starting to plan for the wedding." Lauren opened her mouth to protest. "I dare you." she warned.

"You are going to let me help though, right?" Corrine smiled.

"Of course. I've never met a more organized person in all my life. But right now, I'm going to enjoy my sleep." Everyone laughed.

"Fine. But if you're still sleeping in three months from now, I'm coming for you."

"Deal." Lilah gave her dad a hug.

"I'm not going to be a Lancaster anymore, aren't I?" she said.

"No, you're going to be a Hemmings." Luke said. Lilah shrugged.

"Nice."

Corrine leaned into Luke's side. "This is happening." she said, looking at him.

"What is?"

"We're getting married." Luke nodded, and kissed her.

"You've made me the happiest man alive, and I wouldn't want to marry anyone else." he whispered.

"Except for Michael." Corrine said. Luke nodded.

"Other than Michael."

"Damn right." Michael said, walking into the kitchen. "Muke's real Cory."

"That's okay. If Luke ever cheated on me with you, I'd be okay with it." she started laughing. Michael shook his head.

"You say that now." he said with a wink, and left the room. Corrine turned around, burying her face in Luke's neck.

"I love you." she said, wrapping her arms around his waist. "And I can't wait to marry you."

"I can't wait to marry you either." Luke said. "If it were up to me, I'd take you to Vegas and we could avoid all this planning, but I think Lauren would have our heads for that."

"Probably. Planning the wedding is going to be so stressful." she sighed.

"Yeah, but you can do it."

"So is Michael going to be your best man?" Corrine teased.

"I don't know. I was thinking more along the lines of Ashton, but who knows."

"Ashton?"

"Yeah, why not?"

"Hmm, seems reasonable."

"What about you? Who's going to be your Maid of Honor?"

"I've know Lauren for a long time, but I was thinking Mali."

"Well, we have a while to figure this out, so let's not overdue it now." Luke said.

"I'm down for that." Corrine agreed. Luke leaned down, placing a gentle kiss against her lips.

"I really do love you." he whispered.

"I love you to."