28. Sugar Lips

Dimitri's P.O.V

"You're quiet."

"Well, I'm not in the mood of talking." I shrugged harsher than I expected. My nerves were on edge and I couldn't take my mind off the moment that I had with Danielle. In fact I was trying not to let Amanda know, because it wasn't my story to tell. Maybe I was a fucking idiot and I shouldn't be keeping quiet about it, but it didn't even feel right. So how could I tell her the truth?

"If I did something wrong, just tell me okay? I'm not in the mood either." She snapped back staring outside to the city.

Great. You're awesome Dimitri.

"Sorry Kitten, I didn't mean to-"

"Don't worry. The more I experience it, the more I get used to it." Amanda replied folding her arms and sinking deeper in the seat of the car. The party was over and I was driving her home, Lizzy and the girls had gone earlier than us after making me promise her that I would drop Amanda off later.

And now I had messed it up after not seeing her for almost two weeks.

"What do you mean with used to it?"

"I mean as in a relationship with you may never work out. I have enough with my family; I don't need you to snap at me." She replied in a monotonous voice.

"Kitten, I'm sorry." Was all I could muster. A weak apology, like the fucking coward that I am.

"Whatever."

"Hell no." I told her parking the car in front of her house and grabbing her hand before she could get out.

"Listen to me carefully, okay? I really don't know how a relationship with me could work out because I've never been into one, so I apologize for that. Second of all, we're not even trying to date or whatever this shit may be. All I know is that you're my best friend and yes, I'm fucking terrified of losing you but guess what? I'll not leave your side Ninn, not unless you ask me to. Yes, you are a mess. Your life sucks. Your family is terrible. And I've having a lot in my mind so I also apologize for that. But if this is your roundabout way of telling me to stay away from you then let's just end with it. I'll not keep up lying about us when there's nothing happening. I'll not, you hear me? I'll not let my best friend slip away just because of some weird sexual tension or lack of communication. There I said it." I finished running out of breath. Amanda stared at me, her glassy brown eyes fixed on my face studying me.

After minutes of an unbearable silence, I asked her "Well?"

"Is kinda hard to think after what you've said. My brain just had an information overload so..."

"I've just told you that your life sucks and that you are stuck with me for the rest of your days so, yeah I get it." I replied shrugging of my shoulders.

A low chuckle escaped her lips and she shook her head.

"Stop it, you're distracting me and I need to think."

"I'm aware that I'm distracting you. I want you to pay attention to me." I said kissing her cheek and letting her go. "Please don't listen to a word they say. You are stunning in the most heart-wrenching of ways."

"And you are a flatterer that cannot live without me." She replied with a smile.

I knew there were a lot of things that we needed to fix. And that's when it hit me; I couldn't protect Amanda from the world. I couldn't protect her from her family and... I couldn't protect her from me.