Critiquing 101

Hey, members, classicoverthinker and YourFavouriteAuthor here and contrary to popular belief, we do check all your reviews and read through them. However, recently, we've discovered a persistent issue: effectiveness. Remember, we're all about helping each other out and providing constructive criticism so it's imperative that your reviews are detailed and productive. 

So you may be wondering "Well, how do I do that?" or "Are mine productive enough?" Well don't worry, that's why we're here. We'll be touching on all the critiquing do's and don'ts to make sure your critiques are worthwhile! Also, feel free to come back to this chapter anytime you have assignments.

Now often times those who've been reviewed by us personally, may say we're blunt or harsh, but that's the point. We aren't here to sugar coat stones and tell you it's candy, not every review is going to be good because no work is perfect. 

Now before we take too long and you lose interest, let's just jump right in:

Do's

#1 Represent

This rule should go without saying, but we don't mind reiterating. Remember, we're all family here so be sure the first thing you do before you start critiquing is to tag your critique with #SpectrumBookClub so the writer knows you're one of us!

#2 Plot Cohesion

Was the book easy to follow? Did it make sense? All this contributes to Plot Cohesion. After each chapter, the story should unfold in a way that allows it to build and branch into sub-plots. If you, as the reader, do not feel yourself moving along with the pace of the novel then there is a issue. To tackle this, you have to recognize what hindered the storytelling process (usually pacing) and let the reader know by providing alternatives and helpful suggestions!

#3 Empty Setting

The setting is one of the fundamentals of great storytelling. Are you aware of where a particular scene is taking place? Or are you just assuming? Chances are, if you even have to ask yourself any of those questions, the setting is lacking. The setting should be constructed in such a way that it cements in your sub-conscious, if it isn't then you need to bring this to writer's attention. Tell them whether their setting is lacking in development or poor description and suggest how they can improve! Tip: Setting's can solidify easily if the characters interact with the things around them so suggest that!

#4 Vivid Descriptions

As you read, everything should come alive from the pages. Your senses should feel as if they've taken a dip into the book itself. People usually focus solely on sight when they describe but it's vital that all the 5 senses are appealed to. If you're reading and the words feel like mere words on a page and you don't feel immersed at all then the description could be improved. Is it because they used words that didn't match what they were describing? Or maybe they described too little. Whatever it is, be sure to tackle the reason why you don't feel engrossed and let the author know! Tip: Suggest where you think a certain sensory detail would improve their writing! For example, smelling the food in a kitchen or listening to music in a bar.

#5 Plastic Characters 

Do these characters react to situations in a mundane way or are they over the top dramatic? Unless the writer is writing a drama piece this should not be the case. Characters should reflect real people and real emotions, if they don't achieve that, they haven't been substantially developed. Tip: Real life and books are two separate things. Look out for anything the character does that would work in real life but in a book reads wanky and highlight it!