2 - Sleepovers and Friendships

Alison was over the moon that her brother, Jason, was gone for the weekend, as well as her parents, leaving the blonde alone at her house with the girls, of course.

The group of five were now in their regular positions in Ali's bedroom, watching Twilight. Spencer and Aria were situated on the little white-leather armchairs that were leaned against the western wall of the room, while Hanna sat on the floor with her back pressed against the footboard of the bed and ate popcorn, facing the new flat-screen TV that Mr. DiLaurentis had purchased for Alison. Lastly, Alison and Emily were resting on the bed with their backs against the headboard.

"Em?" Alison called, almost whispering, loud enough for only Emily to hear.

"Yeah, Ali?" Emily answered in the same tone and moved her head to look at the beautiful girl.

Alison smiled, letting her dimples slightly pop out and Emily felt her heart flutter in her chest. Alison's dimples were something that Emily has always adored.

"Bella and Edward have a beautiful relationship, don't you think?" Alison asked casually.

"Yeah, I guess they do," Emily said, looking down and smiling nervously. She couldn't hold Alison's eye contact any longer without her cheeks tinting red, and she was glad that her skin was a slightly darker tone so it was harder for people to see.

"I'd die to have someone look at me the way they look at each other."

Emily picked up her eyes to look at the intense blue ones and was surprised to find them already settled on her. "I mean," Alison continued, purposely cutting her eyes away from Emily's warm cocoa ones to the screen in front of her. "He saved Bella from that car crash, and he's super protective of her," she turned her head back to Emily. "Don't you want to have that one day? Someone who would be jealous when others hit on you, someone who would always protect you and stand up for you, someone who would look at you with only passion and affection in their eyes?"

Alison felt a fond smile starting to tug on her lips once she saw Emily's eyebrows beginning to form together; that was a sign that Emily was taking in every word Ali had said.

"Yeah, that is something I would want," Emily finally responded after a few moments of silence.

"Well, sweetie, the thing is, I already know someone who can give me this kind of relationship."

Disappointment slowly washed all over Emily's pretty face and she could only hope Alison hadn't seen it - which, of course, she had - as she looked away.

"Oh. You do?" Emily whispered back quietly, her voice weakening slightly.

"Yeah, and I know that they're interested too, but I'm afraid of what might happen if I actually start seeing this person. I'm scared of what people might say or what it would mean about myself."

Emily swallowed hard and clenched her jaw as felt anger run straight through her body, not noticing the slight, mischievous smirk playing on Alison's lips.

The brunette's mind involuntarily filled with thoughts. Alison wanted a relationship with someone. What if the blonde got a boyfriend? What if Emily would have to be nice to that boy because he was her best friend's boyfriend? Oh, god.

"Who are you thinking about? Noel Kahn?" Emily asked innocently, trying to sound a lot less curious than she actually was. She had made an educated guess due to the guy's popularity. Also, Noel Kahn always seemed to be hovering around Alison, and Emily naturally disliked him for it.

"Noel? Oh, please, you're underestimating me. The person on my mind is far better than Noel." Alison voiced lowly, this time keeping her eyes on the screen.

'Who the hell could this mystery guy be?' was the constant thought in Emily's mind. She knew getting answers from Ali was impossible but decided to try anyway.

"Is it someone I know?" Emily tried again and her voice wavered a bit, the result of the jealousy coursing through her veins. She cursed herself for allowing Alison to get inside her head. The blonde, on the other hand, smirked to herself when she heard Emily's voice turning timid. She loved the effect that she had on the girl.

"Oh yeah, it's someone we all know."

'Okay, this narrows down the options,' Emily thought, attempting to be hopeful. The brunette didn't know if she should be relieved because it wasn't some random college guy, or disappointed because it was someone she would have to see around.

"Do they go to our school?" Emily felt as though she was walking on eggshells. She wasn't used to asking Alison questions, it was usually vice-versa.

"They do, and they're closer than you think, Em." Alison finished and her eyes stayed locked on Emily's for a few seconds more than usual in an imploring manner. They were merely inches apart from each other and shared a gaze that could only be described as heated and just plain intense. Alison's gaze flickered down to Emily's lips for a millisecond too long. They were perfect and soft, just like Emily.

'God,' she thought, 'what would I do to just-'

"Ali, do you have any more popcorn left? Hanna finished it all and I didn't get any," Aria unknowingly interrupted, rolling her eyes playfully at Hanna. Alison and Emily broke out of their trance and the brunette quickly inched away from Alison.

Alison didn't know what had just gotten into her, but she had completely forgotten where she was and what she was doing. She'd forgotten the others were even there. Nothing existed in the world besides her and Emily in those very few minutes of conversation that the two girls shared.

She was too entranced by the girl's beauty to notice anything around her, too invested in the brunette's endearing behavior and charming mannerisms. Emily was drawing her in like a moth to a flame.

And in that moment, the confirmation that she liked Emily back hit Alison in the face.

'Shit.'