54 - It's Just Me And You

"Important news!" Jessica announced in a sing-song voice as she bounded down the stairs, approaching the kitchen island, where both her children were seated with their breakfasts.

Alison and Jason raised their heads from their cereal bowls and shared a look of dread across the marble island. Alison swallowed her spoonful, "What?"

A week had passed since Emily held her at the kissing rock, and her mother was back to her 'normal' behavior. Alison guessed she should be thankful for that. Plus, Jason was home again, and he had promised her and Emily that he wouldn't let anything happen regarding her mother. He was much more aware now, having grown up in the same household as her. Emily was reluctant to agree, but she still trusted Jason wholeheartedly. The brunette rushed to add that Alison could stay at her house whenever she wanted, and even reminded Alison that she had a key. Alison had been grateful in response.

"As you two know, I'm running for president of my debutante group-"

"We know," Jason and Alison retorted in exasperation.

It was all their mother ever talked about, save her job, and how disappointed she was in them.

"Well," Mrs. DiLaurentis cleared her throat, not in the mood to get sassed on by her own children. She raised her chin, her jaw clenching. Alison didn't know if she should be happy or not by the fact that her and Jason could rattle their mother enough by only saying two words. "The debutantes are organizing a lovely town fair tomorrow. I trust you both to be there."

"No way, I have a date with Cece." Jason disagreed instantly, placing his now-empty bowl in the sink.

Alison nodded in consent. "Yeah, and Emily and I are going to some coffee place downtown."

"Bring them both," Jessica offered almost desparately, and Alison knew she was only saying it because she needed to keep up appearances. If both her children didn't come to the fair, she would have no chance of being elected president. Alison decided to toy with the idea.

"Can I bring the rest of my friends?" Alison raised her eyebrow in question.

"Of course-"

"For free?" she finished with a victorious smirk. Jason watched their interaction, smothering his pleased grin as he waited expectantly for an answer from his mother.

Jessica sighed deeply, as if she was simply tired of her kids already, "Alison..."

"You said you needed us to come. If I'm canceling my plans, the least you could do is give me a way to form new ones," Alison said in a persuasive tone. She was simply too good at this.

Jessica watched her for a moment, her eyes narrowing at her own creation. "Very well," she said finally in a flat tone, giving Jason a pointed look that meant he could bring his own friends too. Then she turned on her heel, refusing to be taunted by the siblings. Once she was out of the room, Jason and Alison shared a noisy high five and proud smirks.

XXXXX

"Woah, your mother organized all of this?" Hanna asked in awe as Emily's car neared the fair. It was an enormous place by the sea, and people of all ages were strolling around, looking generally happy. There were clowns on stilts - which kind of freaked Alison out though she'd never admit it out loud - all sorts of stations for winning dolls or candy, food carts, and even a huge, lighted Ferris wheel. It was the biggest event her mother had ever brought to life.

"With the help of her other standoffish friends, yes," Alison confirmed dryly, exiting the car. Emily turned off the engine and got out of the car as well, along with Hanna and Caleb.