37 - Moonlight Sonata

Toby left for his own class as Alison and Spencer advanced on to English and entered the classroom, finding Hanna, Aria, and Emily already seated. Alison was actually very glad to be in this class, considering it was the only one where all five of them were together, and it was her favorite subject.

She walked over to Emily's seat, trailing her finger hauntingly up the girl's arm as she took the empty seat behind her. "Hey you," she greeted simply.

"Hey," Emily smiled brightly, though her breath was caught in her throat. In her defense, Alison's finger began tracing patterns on her shoulder and it only made it distracting for her to form a sentence. The blonde only smirked to herself at the effect she still very clearly held on Emily.

"Good afternoon, class. I'm Mr. Fitz, I'll be your new English teacher," the young-looking teacher introduced himself as he wrote his name with chalk on the black chalkboard. "This is my first year teaching, so I'm hoping you'll take it easy on me," he joked lightly.

The four girls' eyes instantly flew to Aria. This new teacher was nearly identical to Aria's boyfriend, Ezra. Only differences were that Ezra was younger than Mr. Fitz, he was a Fitzgerald, not Fitz, and that they didn't actually know what Mr. Fitz's first name was but they guessed it wasn't Ezra. And if it was, then the world was way smaller than they'd ever thought. Even Aria's jaw dropped at the sight, and she gave the girls a 'what the hell' kind of look. They looked back at her with a mix of awe and wonder.

The door suddenly opened, Mona standing in the doorway. "Sorry I'm late, Mr. Fritz," she apologized.

The class burst into strong laughter at the greeting, including Mr. Fitz, who merely chuckled to himself. Mona stared at them in confusion as she made her way to an empty seat next to Hanna. "What?" she asked, taking her place.

"It's Fitz, Mona, not Fritz," Hanna said in amusement to Mona.

"Oops, my bad," Mona giggled, shrugging.

As the teacher continued speaking to the class as an introduction, being a new teacher and all, Emily spaced out for a while, staring out the window. It was only when she heard the word "project", followed by a collective groan of disapproval, that she zoned back in.

"Yes, yes, I know - it's the first day of school - but you will have plenty of time to do this project, and I don't want you to say that I didn't inform you ahead," Mr. Fitz reassured. "I'll email you the contents of the assignment later today. In general, you will do the work in pairs and choose a book that means a lot to you or relates to your life somehow, and the project will be about it. Think of it as an introduction assignment so that I'll get to know you better. We have a full year ahead of us, after all."

Alison leaned forward and tapped on Emily's shoulder. "I think I have an idea," she whispered playfully in the brunette's ear.

"Me too," Emily answered back, somehow knowing exactly which book Alison wanted to do the project on.

"Great Expectations?" the blonde asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Great Expectations," Emily confirmed Alison's thought with a small head nod and a smile. Since Mr. Fitz was a new teacher and didn't know about last year's book reports, they could use this book in their project. Alison was surprised Emily was actually down to tricking the teacher with her, but yet again, she had seen several just how naughty Emily could be when she wanted to.

Alison smiled at her mermaid, leaning back into her seat. As the teacher started explaining about the syllabus and special credit assignments, Emily couldn't help but zone back out. She couldn't help it, she was still very tired throughout the day, and she had caught the most important part of Fitz's speech, so it was okay.