61 - James

"What are we doing tonight?"

Emily turned her head, surprised at the intrusion during her lunchtime. Alison took the seat next to her with her lunch tray, kissing the top of her head as a greeting.

"We?" Emily smiled in confusion, following the girl with her eyes.

Alison pulled an odd look and shook her head lightly at herself. She hadn't realized she had begun talking about the two of them as if they were attached by the hip. God, Hanna was right. They really were one of those couples. The blonde recovered quickly, remarking lightheartedly, "Yeah, it's the weekend, isn't it?"

"They're one of those couples," Hanna 'whispered' loudly to Spencer, who snickered into the rim of her tea thermos. Alison decided to overlook that comment though she still found herself sporting an eye roll. She comprehended that the girl was right, there was no need to rub it in, though.

Emily, on the other hand, completely ignored the interaction in favor of staring adoringly at her girlfriend, which was completely not uncommon. "Well," she started as she shook out of her daze, grabbing her apple and rubbing it on her sweater, "I kind of have to babysit tonight."

"I didn't know you did babysitting," Ezra mentioned, and Alison turned to look at him in dismay. Was everybody suddenly a part of their conversation? "Could you watch my little brother? I'll pay you," he pleaded with his eyes wide, and even though his friends laughed, he was completely serious.

"Nice try," Emily chuckled humorously. "Last time I met Wesley, he thought I was a Native American and dared me to play the 'Wild, Wild West' game with him. What the hell does that even mean?"

"You don't want to know," Aria shook her head, a horrified expression covering her face as her boyfriend patted her arm in sympathy, silently apologizing for his younger brother.

"So you can't tonight?" Alison pouted, getting back to the original topic.

Emily gave her a sad smile, "I promised the parents two weeks ago, so I can't. Unless you want to come with."

Alison's laugh was amused and heartfelt as she stared at Emily in shock. "Me?" she asked, unnecessarily pointing at herself. Emily nodded warily, not understanding the blonde's recoiling manner. "No thanks," she dismissed, not even bothering to entertain the idea.

"What? Why not?"

"Em, I'm terrible with little kids," Alison groaned as if it was too obvious to even admit out loud. "No matter what, I always end up bickering with them about something as stupid as how to use Legos or the fact that they think the earth is flat, and then I end looking like the five-year-old and not them."

"Okay, that's oddly specific," Emily frowned at her girlfriend, who only shrugged nonchalantly in return. "Besides, he's not a little kid, he's a baby. Babies rarely ever speak, so your whole argument is gone, Ali."

"You've been lawyered," Toby muttered and smirked, exchanging a high-five with Emily since they only used their handshakes on special occasions. Alison rolled her eyes and sighed. Nerds.

"Come on, please? I promise, it's fun. Right, Spence?" Emily queried, seeking confirmation from her friend.

"When did you two babysit together?" Caleb questioned from across the table, opening his carton of chocolate milk.

"Last year. From what I remember, it wasn't really on purpose," Spencer began describing as she looked back on that particular night. "I went to Emily's house to drop off some notes for a test, and there she was, holding the cutest baby I've ever seen."

Emily jutted her bottom lip forward and nodded in agreement, and Alison had to try her hardest not to 'aww' at her own girlfriend. She grumbled in her head that it was embarrassing how much of that couple they were becoming.