66 - Sammy's New Dog

"You still haven't given Noel his Scooby-Doo leash back?" Emily voiced questioningly as she hooked the purple leash to Pepe's black collar, directing her gaze at Alison, who was busy locking her front door.

The seasons were now changing, and the day of the charity race was, fortunately, a comfortable spring day. The grass in the DiLaurentis' front lawn was growing higher than Jessica would've liked it to, but Jason had promised to mow it when he was coming over for dinner the next day.

The blonde finished up and turned to her girlfriend with a semi-embarrassed expression. "He said I could keep it," she shrugged lightly. She descended the front porch's steps and bent down to Pepe's level, ruffling his rich fur, a pleased smile taking over her face once he wiggled his tail.

Emily's phone beeped in her pocket and she fished it out as Pepe sprawled across the grass, Alison shaking her head playfully at him as she scratched his stomach. "Spencer's already there, we should get going," Emily announced as she read the text the other brunette had sent her.

Alison scoffed quietly, "Oh please, Spencer's early for everything. She was once so early to history class, that Mrs. Gillard thought she had no friends and offered her to see the guidance counselor."

Emily laughed lightheartedly, nodding, "That definitely sounds like our Spencer. But, if we don't leave now, we're going to be late, so come on." The brunette held out her free hand for Alison to grab, which she did, and the two - and Pepe - began walking down the street that led them to the town square, where the starting line was placed.

X-X-X-X-X

They arrived at the starting point of the event, spotting their friends all hanging around a nearby bench, each of them sporting workout clothes of all sorts, just like them, except they were all already in the blue shirts with the charity logo that were handed at the sign-in table. Spencer, Hanna, Caleb and Ezra were sitting on the bench in varying degrees of enthusiasm, while Toby and Aria were looking around at the various animals, adoringly capturing them doing different random things with their cameras.

Alison went off to sign both of them and receive their shirts while Emily took Pepe's leash and headed in the direction of her friends.

"Hey, guys," Emily began with a genial smile, taking a seat on the grass in front of the bench, "are you excited?"

"Spencer's kind of excited," Hanna pointed lazily towards the brainy brunette, who rolled her eyes in response. Hanna shrugged, "Ezra and Caleb too, I guess. But mostly, I just can't believe I was dragged here in this far too ungodly hour."

"It's four-thirty in the afternoon," Spencer frowned in protest, leaning over to pet Pepe as he melted into her touch.

"Bite me, Hastings."

"Come on, Han, aren't you a little bit endeared? With all these cute animals around you?" Emily asked.

Hanna simply shrugged again.

"Ignore her," Caleb shook his head. "She's moody because she found out there are no rabbits here."

Emily chuckled quietly, causing her best friend to glare in surprise at her. "Don't laugh at me," Hanna hissed, throwing her hairband at Emily, who expertly caught it with one hand and threw it back into the blonde's lap. "I really thought I would get to have my own rabbit," the usually-bubbly sighed sadly.

A hand on Emily's shoulder made her look up, finding her girlfriend in the familiar blue shirt. "Let's go, they're about to start," she tilted her head towards the starting line, where people began to gather. She handed Emily her own charity shirt and the brunette slipped it on easily.