49 - Killer

Alison sat with her back against the headboard and her legs stretched out on top of Emily's bed. The brunette was sitting in front of her on the edge of the bed, anxiously going through a packet of yellow, rectangular cards. All of her notes were written there for the presentation tomorrow. She had borrowed the flashcards from Spencer, who had loads of them, of course, and had written the notes with Alison.

The blonde's pack of notes rested aimlessly on the bedside table and she peeked at them, uninterested. Sure, she had gone through them a few times already, but that was enough. She knew Emily was only re-reading them a million times over because she was nervous about presenting their Great Expectations project to the class.

She frowned a bit in confusion at that. It surely helped that all three of their closest friends were in the same class as them, and that their teacher was nice, so what was Emily so worried about?

"Ali?" the softest voice she'd ever heard interrupted her thoughts. She lifted her eyes to meet concerned brown orbs. She could practically just see a million and one different thoughts running behind the brunette's eyes.

"Emily," she remarked back simply as she sat up straighter on the bed.

"Do you want to go over the cue cards one more time? This time will be the last one, I promise," Emily nearly pleaded, looking straight into the blonde's eyes but dropping her gaze to the cards in her hands ever-so-slightly.

"Do I want-" Alison paused in the middle of her rhetorical retort, sighing in exasperation. Of course she would go over the stupid cards if that was what Emily wanted, she would do anything that the brunette asked her to do, but she had a feeling Emily didn't want to go over them, either. When they had read over their entire presentation earlier, it sounded perfect, no further work needed to be done, but Emily was relentless.

It clicked in Alison's mind that it must've been Emily's occasional stage fright. The brunette tended to not like being in the spotlight and having everybody's eyes on her, which was a tad ironic because she was dating the most popular girl in Rosewood, was in the most popular clique at their school, and was the star of the swim team. Not to mention that she was so naturally beautiful that people's eyes seemed to always gravitate towards her.

The blonde realized then that she needed to help Emily get over her fear, show her that being in the spotlight could be fun, at least every once in a while, and that presenting in class could be a piece of cake with the right approach. She knew that it would make standing at the front of the class so much easier for Emily in the future.

She edged closer to Emily, grabbing her girlfriend's hand and bringing it up to her lips for a moment. "Do you remember what I told you before we went on that rollercoaster in Disneyland Paris?" Alison asked softly.

Emily cracked a small, amused smile, "You mean, 'Let's just go on that ride so that we can get out of here because I can't wait to see you change into your-'"

Alison pushed her shoulder playfully and Emily laughed despite herself. "Cute," the blonde rolled her eyes sarcastically with no actual bite in her tone. "I was talking about that other thing I told you."

Emily's eyes met Alison's skeptically. "Fear is all in your head?" she concluded. Ironic, coming from the girl who was scared of horror films, the brunette snickered but kept it to herself.

Alison nodded seriously, rubbing her thumb soothingly on the back of Emily's hand, "Yes, exactly. And that is one hundred percent true. You can do this, babe. I'll be right by your side. What's a little presentation next to a double loop-the-loop rollercoaster?"

Emily gazed into Alison's baby blue eyes, wondering how she had gotten so lucky. Her girlfriend was one of the only people who could help her get over her fear, perhaps even the only person.