13 - Morning, Sunshine

"How was dinner, girls?" Jessica DiLaurentis asked them as soon as they walked into the DiLaurentis house. They found her in the living room, where she was looking into a decorative mirror and placing on her diamond earrings.

"It was fine," Emily answered respectfully and smiled in an affable manner, not elaborating on details.

"You know, I think it was a little more than just fine, Em," Alison said and winked to Emily, earning a shy smile from the brunette.

"That's great, sweetheart. Are you staying here tonight, Emily?" Mrs. DiLaurentis asked absentmindedly as she continued to place on her shiny jewelry.

"Uh, no, just thought I'd stop by on my way home," Emily answered back.

"You could stay here, if you want," Alison suggested in an innocent tone, but her growing devilish smirk and cocked eyebrow proved that her intentions were nothing close to pure.

"Okay," Emily said quietly and nodded, attracted to the mischievous glint in Alison's eyes. She wanted to know what intentions for tonight stood behind the blonde's saucy smirk and playful eyes, though she had an idea.

The two girls took off their shoes and Emily sent her parents a quick text, informing them she's staying at Alison's house tonight.

"Alright, girls," Jessica sighed, gathering some of her things, "there's food in the fridge if you get hungry." She turned to Alison, "Your father and I are going out to dinner with his boss, and Jason went to Philly with his friends. Are you two going to be okay by yourselves tonight?"

"We'll be fine, mom, we're not babies," Alison answered her mother with an eye roll and an attitude.

Jessica nodded distractedly just as her phone buzzed, "Oh, that's your father, he will be here soon."

Alison followed the movements of her mother's hands with her eyes, watching as the woman placed things in her purse and fixed her dress. The events that took place that night with Emily's parents made her look at her own in a new light. She couldn't quite put her finger on why, but she had a feeling her parents wouldn't really mind if she dated Emily. They seemed to like the girl very much, in fact, her mother had openly expressed how much she liked Emily more than her other friends in the past, but it was the dating a girl part of it all that stood as an obstacle.

The thing was, although her family liked to preserve an image, Alison knew that as long as she stayed out of trouble, remained queen bee in her school and didn't deteriorate to drugs the way Jason sometimes did, her mother would be pleased with her doing just about anything.

"Mom, Emily and I have something to tell you," Alison said with a new sense of motivation. She caught both girls' attention and Emily glanced at her wide-eyed, which she found to be absolutely adorable. But she couldn't do this without her dad's presence. "We won a raffle and we get to go to Paris with our friends for the last week of summer," Alison decided to say instead and Emily sighed in immense relief.

"Oh, That's very exciting, Alison. The city of love, is it?" Mrs. DiLaurentis joked, finally turning to pay them attention.

Alison took a deep breath and went for a bold choice of words. "Yes, and it's perfect for me and Emily." She hesitantly took the brunette's soft, tanned hand. Emily's eyes and mouth were wide open by this time and Alison wanted to laugh at her expression. Jessica looked at them with suspicious yet confused eyes as the blonde continued, ignoring Emily's silent protests. "Mom, Emily and I are-"

"Jessica, have you seen my checkbook?" Kenneth DiLaurentis called out as he entered the house, oblivious to the previous conversation. "Oh, there it is," he took a checkbook from the counter. "Hello, Emily," he greeted the brunette with his version of a warm smile.