58 - I Feel Pretty, Oh So Pretty (P1)

"Children!"

"Ugh, what now?" Alison's sullen whimper was muffled as she covered her face with her hands.

Jason shook his head miserably, giving her a semi-sympathetic pat on her knee. She turned his head just in time to catch their mother coming down the stairs, elegant as ever, wearing her extreme mega-watt smile. Alison was actually a little creeped out by how the woman's face seemed permanently stuck like that, with the shape of a smile, no wrinkle in sight, and not just because of those anti-aging creams that she poured on her skin daily.

Alison shifted to snuggle into the couch, opposite side of Jason, doing her best at pretending to be asleep. Jason snorted at the ridiculous sight, but quickly rearranged his features to seem impassive as their mother appeared in the doorway of the living room.

"Oh, did Alison fall asleep? It's six in the afternoon," Jessica shook her head disapprovingly. "Jason, do me a favor and wake up your sister, I have an announcement."

Jason rolled his eyes as he caught sight of the diamond earrings their mother slipped on as she headed towards the kitchen, fetching herself a glass of water. He knew she was supposed to leave for dinner with a colleague soon, and he didn't approve of the way she over-dressed for it. He wouldn't put it past her to cheat, and he knew that that would majorly hurt Alison. He really was trying to protect his sister more these days, just like he had promised Emily. That was why, even though he would soon be moving into a Philly apartment with Cece as she opened her own boutique there with fresh ideas that she'd gotten from her stay in Paris, he would still like to be around as much as possible for his little sister.

He nudged Alison's foot with his own, "Come on, let's hear what she has planned this time. Trust me, I think it's better to just get it over with."

Alison cracked open one eye to scrutinize him, but her timing was way off, because right at that moment, Jessica walked into the living room, diamond earrings on and a glass of water in her hand. Their mother took her very last sip before setting the empty glass down on the coffee table.

"Excellent, Alison, you're awake," Jessica beamed and Alison keened softly at being caught. The woman clapped her hands, saying in a sing-song voice, "Up, up, up! I come bearing news!"

Alison sat up and fixed her hair, refraining from rolling her eyes. Jason muted the movie playing on the television and turned to his mom questioningly.

"First, I'm sure you've already heard, but I've been elected president of the debutantes!"

Jason and Alison stared at her blankly. The silence stilled awkwardly in the air, but Jessica seemed to not notice as she was still one smile away from exploding into a full-on ray of sunshine. Alison and Jason shared a bored glance before the blonde finally spoke up.

"Yay."

"Yeah, congrats," Jason added in the same unenthusiastic tone.

Jessica clapped her hands excitedly, shrieking gleefully as she placed a delighted hand over her chest. "I know, I know. I was very pleased with the results as well."

"Hmm."

"Great."

Jessica was over the moon as Alison and Jason blinked at her some more. The only movement that transpired between the two was when Jason passed the popcorn bowl in his lap over to his sister, his eyes still lazily fixed on the overzealous woman as if she was a trashy reality tv show.

"Well!" Jessica stepped closer to them, as her eyes held pure, oblivious joy, and she stood in contrast to her children's expressionless faces. "Since I'm now the president of my debutante group, they are expecting me to make another event to raise money. It's been nearly six weeks since the last one, and that will not stand. So, I have spoken to some of my friends, and we've agreed to use the organizing budget on an event that will establish my place as a strong leader."