41 - First Job, Surreal Blob

Emily and Alison watched the girl expectantly, waiting for her to say her name as they each shook her hand in their turn. She looked pretty confident meeting her boyfriend's family, but Alison still couldn't fathom why Jason would bring his new girlfriend, who he had been seeing for less than a month, to meet their family. Maybe their relationship was more serious than she'd initially thought.

"Hi, I'm-"

"Jason?" Jessica's voice came blaring from the kitchen. Alison closed her eyes momentarily in exasperation, praying that her mother wouldn't scare Jason's girlfriend away. Her family was pretty terrifying as it is, but they could at least try to make a nice first impression. Her mother came into view, smiling widely. Her Stepford-wife lifestyle was displayed clearly to anyone who laid their eyes on her; the high-end clothes, jewelry and make-up she was wearing made it all but obvious.

"Hello, there," Jessica greeted the new face, observing the scene in the room, "who's your friend, Jason?"

"She's my girlfriend, mom," Jason said, rather embarrassed. Alison nearly chuckled at the sudden awkward air around Jason, his girlfriend and Jessica.

"Oh, forgive me, dear. I'm Jessica," she said with a bright smile, extending her hand, "Jason's mother."

"I figured just as much," the girl smiled just as widely as she shook Mrs. DiLaurentis' hand. "My name's-"

RING RING RING

The landline phone produced the loud ringtone and everyone just about jumped a foot in the air. Alison and Jason exchanged a glance as they recognized the familiar ringtone - it was the preset sound for whenever their father called - knowing their mother was somewhat obligated to answer it, since Kenneth didn't usually call during business trips unless it was important.

Jessica laughed fakely as excused herself, walking straight to the phone and waiting until she got in the other room to start talking. Alison was used to the secrecy, it has always like that with her parents. They were always so tight-lipped, and though she had been raised by them and supported pretty much the same amount of secrecy in her own life, or at least up until recently, even she couldn't realize what they were hiding from her and Jason. But, if they bothered so much to keep the two siblings in the dark, Alison wasn't really sure she wanted to know.

"Anyway," the girl drew them back into the conversation, her strong yet feminine voice reminded Alison a lot of herself. "I'm Cece. Cece Drake." she finally said.

"Nice to meet you, Cece," Emily smiled kindly. Alison found it endearing, the way the brunette would be so polite to new people she met. She was so well mannered.

"Likewise," Cece returned her smile instantly.

"How about we watch a movie and order some pizza?" Jason asked everyone with an agreeable grin, hoping they would accept the idea because he preferred watching a movie and not talking, rather than having to sit around the table and speak to one another. He couldn't risk Alison asking Cece all sorts of personal questions, he knew how his blunt and tactless his sister tended to get.

The girls seemed to agree with the suggestion and they were about to head further into the living room, but not before Jessica walked back into the room. "I apologize deeply, but I'm going to have to go run some errands. I'll be back later. It was a pleasure to meet you..." Jessica trailed off, waiting for the girl to say her name.

"Cece," she completed with a smile.

"Cece... is that a nickname for something? Charlotte, perhaps?" Jessica asked in genuine interest.

"No, just Cece," the young woman responded with a polite grin.

"Oh, well, what a beautiful name. I expect to see you around." Jessica grabbed her purse from the table and turned to the door, "Goodbye, children. And girls, don't stay up too late, it's a school night."