62 - Into the School

A/n: Hey! For some reason this chapter keeps jumbling up in the order of the chapters and showing up in random places between other chapters, and I haven't been able to fix it. So, if you're a first time reader, this chapter should be read after the chapter "James" (towards the end)

XXXXX

The assortment of noises coming from Alison's room was so rowdy, that when Jason came home at 6 PM to gather the last of his things for his move on Wednesday to his new apartment, he walked in, heard the high-volumed laughter and screams, rolled his eyes knowingly, and promptly exited the house to go crash at Cece's for the night.

It was always like that with the five girls. Their gatherings would start out casual; talking about upcoming events - this time, it was the upcoming Rosewood 5k - catching up on gossip and watching movies or playing games. It was all very typical. Then, as the hours would go by, they would put on some music - never quiet, low toned music, because Hanna would object - start rummaging through each other's closets, and for some reason, there was always, always a cause for the fact that they were laughing loud enough for the entire neighborhood to hear. Not just laughing, chortling their hearts out.

This time, it was because Aria, on her sugar-induced high, told her friends a story from her childhood. It was a story about how her uncle had taken her bowling when she was six years old, and how, not knowing the rules of the game, she had sat on her bowling ball, and dragged her body further down the lane, pulling the ball with her until she almost reached the pins, at which point, she had turned to her uncle, asking, "What now?"

She added how it had taken three employees and her uncle to convince her that that was not how the game was played, and to further explain the dynamics of bowling. Needless to say, her uncle had needed to buy her two slushies and a lollipop to stop her from crying.

The very second she finished telling the story, three girls burst into roaring laughter, grabbing at each other for much-needed air, but Emily only patted her on the back sympathetically when Aria innocently asked, "What's so funny?"

Hanna, of course, had to answer, guffawing heavily, "That place probably had you banned for a decade."

"No," Aria retorted pointedly, huffing to herself. She crossed her arms and muttered lowly, "The ban only lasted seven years."

At this point, Emily had to join in the laughter and even Aria cracked a smile, and shortly later, was laughing with the rest of them.

"Wait, but," Spencer started, gathering the other girls' attention as their uncontrollable cackling quieted down to occasional giggling. Spencer had the most quizzical face when she continued, "Back in summer vacation, when we went bowling-"

"I came in last, remember? I still suck at bowling." Aria nodded.

"Oh. Right."

The smallest brunette pouted exaggeratedly, and the other girls 'aww'ed at her, not quitting on their chuckling.

Alison was the first one to hear the scratching on her bedroom door, mostly because she was the one who sat closest to the door, as the five of them sat in different positions on the relatively large bed. She got up to open the door, and Pepe came bursting in excitedly, frenziedly running first towards Emily, who Alison was convinced he loved more than her. She couldn't blame him, per se.

"Hey, it's my best friend!" Emily happily called as she bent down to pick up Pepe and bring him to her lap. He was getting bigger and bigger every day, but Emily's strong arms lifted him like he weighed nothing. "Hi, boy!" she whispered and smiled as he licked her palm.