36 - My Hero

Emily groaned at the sound of her alarm as she awoke in her bed. She didn't have alarms in summer vacation, she hadn't needed them. She'd had all the time in the world. But now, that was done with, and school was starting all over again.

However, her sophomore year was going to be a good one, she decided. Her relationship with Alison was thriving, her friends were, as always, amazing, and she was going to do well in her schoolwork. With that band-aid solution, she got up and headed to the bathroom.

Her eye wasn't really hurting anymore but the mark was definitely still noticeable. Just a few more days of that, she reminded herself. The bags under her eyes were noticeable as well. She hadn't gotten much sleep the previous night due to her bubbling and non-stopping thoughts.

Her conversation with Aria was still lingering in the back of her mind. She had answered right away that her relationship with Alison wasn't going to change in a school forum because she was sure of her answer, and she still mostly was, but that didn't stop the doubts from appearing in her mind.

What if Alison wanted to keep their relationship a secret from here on out? Sure, most of their schoolmates knew already, but perhaps, in order to not hurt her reputation any further, maybe Alison wanted to secretly date? Or not date at all? Emily didn't know. Her mind was running a thousand miles per minute. She felt awful, like someone was crashing a toy train into the side of her head, and it was mostly a mixture of jetlag and lack of sleep.

She showered and got dressed quickly, doing all of her regular everyday rituals too. She pondered whether to use make-up to cover up her bruise but then decided against it, she was never really the make-up type anyway.

She said goodbye to her parents and exited the house, but not before taking three pictures - one alone, one with her father and one with her mother. It was Pam's first day of school demand, and Emily was used to it already.

She rode her bike to school, paddling her way quickly, trying to distract herself from her thoughts. Alison wouldn't do that to her- break up with her just to save her own reputation- would she? No, she definitely wouldn't, Emily supplied to herself.

She got to the front of the school exactly fifteen minutes before the first bell, five minutes before the time she was scheduled to meet with her friends. She parked her bike, tying them to the bike rack.

"Well, well, I thought I was the only one who shows up early these days."

Emily heard the familiar voice behind and turned to see Spencer, smiling at her like she didn't just wake up.

"Spence," Emily hugged the brunette briefly, thankful for the distraction from her thoughts in the form of her best friend. "How do you have so much energy in this ungodly hour?"

"It's called caffeine, you should try it," Spencer said sarcastically. She then proceeded to pull a thermos of coffee out of her bag and hand it to Emily, who chuckled and gratefully took a large sip. She immediately wanted to spit it out, the bitter taste practically making her wish she didn't have a tongue.

"Spence, this is so bitter! Don't you add sugar or milk or anything to it?"

"Why would I add any of those and ruin my Turkish black coffee? Did you know it's actually stronger than an espresso?" Spencer shared with an enthusiastic smile, making Emily gape at her in dismay. She should've known not to drink coffee from Spencer's strong cup of joe, it was like getting a kiss from the devil. "Did that help?" the brainiac brunette asked hopefully.

"I guess," Emily mumbled miserably. She rubbed her tired eyes as a blonde approached them.

"God, you look like roadkill."