24 - Big on Happy Endings

After their wild night, Emily and Alison came back to the DiLaurentis residence. They woke up the next morning, tangled lazily in each other's arms. They ate breakfast and dressed up, then went back up to the pink bedroom.

"Ali," Emily started, picking up her head from her phone as she lay sideways on her girlfriend's bed.

Alison's mind was distracted as she spent her time writing something in a small notebook, her back against the headboard. She kept her eyes on the paper and her head didn't budge as she hummed absentmindedly, "Love you, babe."

Emily chuckled at her inattentiveness. Alison's mumble sounded almost like a pre-recorded message. It was strangely cute in a way. "Ali," she tried again when the girl wouldn't move her eyes from the paper, nudging her leg softly.

"Yeah?"

"We should start packing. We don't have much time," Emily suggested, gesturing to the closet.

"Oh, I guess you're right," Alison agreed, finally removing herself from her previous task. She rose up and walked to her closet, forsaking the small notebook closed on her bed, leaving Emily to stare at it. The blonde pulled a suitcase out of her closet and set it down on the floor, opening it promptly.

"What's that?" Emily inquired, pointing at the small notebook.

"It's my diary," Alison answered simply with a small smile, walking to the bed and taking the notebook.

"Since when do you keep a diary?" Emily asked playfully.

"Since forever," Alison answered as if it was obvious.

"Let me see," Emily requested, a grin tugging at the edges of her lips.

"Okay." Alison consented easily. Just as she was about to hand the notebook to Emily, she retrieved it back quickly. "No, you're going to have to wait till after," she informed her, taking a seat on the bed.

"Till after what?" Emily groaned childishly.

"After I'm dead," Alison laughed.

"Ew, don't be so gruesome!" Emily gently smacked Alison on the leg.

"I'm not being gruesome, I'm being mysterious," Alison answered in the same low tone that never ceased to make the brunette shiver. She got up and placed her diary in one of the drawers in her desk.

Had Emily not known better, she would've asked Alison what was written there about herself, but she was clever- she knew Alison was one tough nut to crack. The blonde wouldn't have told her anyway, so she decided not to ask. She knew Alison would just tell her when she was ready.

Alison then opened a different drawer, pulling out a notably heavy book with a gray and red cover.

Emily looked on curiously, "Which book is that?"

"Great Expectations," Alison answered as Emily sat up, moving to sit beside the blonde against the headboard.

"Isn't that the book we had to do a report on until the end of summer?" Emily questioned.

"Yeah, but I read it already," Alison shrugged carelessly and looked down at the cover. She began flickering through the pages, stopping on a particular page and laughing lightly at the text.

"What's so funny?" Emily smiled at the sound of the giddy laughter.

"Their names. Pip, Mr. Wopsle, Uncle Pumblchook. They all sound like stuffed Animals." Alison said, chuckling quietly.

"I can't believe you already finished it," Emily stated as she inched closer to Alison.

"Want me to tell you what happens? I can make you a cheat sheet," Alison smirked, showing her dimples. Her eyes were glistening with mischief, Emily noted. "You should really let me braid your hair sometime," the blonde commented aloofly as she absently played with a strand of Emily's dark hair.