I was on my own. then love came knocking

AN... First off I wanna tank all of u one who have spent time to go through my book. Thank u thank u thank u.

It was almost midnight, even the birds had gone to sleep, only the moon remained to carry out it's nocturnal duties.
He had always stayed up late each night oscillating slowly in his rocking chair and smoking on his toy under the cold breeze of the night.
It was the way he loved thinking but today was unlike other days, he reflected on his past mistakes and what he would have done differently given the chance to go back in time.
His thoughts involuntarily went to Gob, he missed the boy's snore  each night he would listen to the boy snore blissfully and that gave Him confidence that someone cared to stick around him.
His children had ....... Well he didn't want to dwell on that. His mind wandered in a scurry.
He didn't realize when he slept with his pipe dangling dangerously from his mouth.
Gob received another tray from the barracks cook early in the morning.
He opened the plates and grudgingly consumed the rice balls that definitely weren't enough to satisfy a kitten.
Soon, he was on His way to the outpost, Rutherford was already at station.
They enjoyed their day as it quickly ran by.
Gob had entered the barracks grounds, from afar he saw Yart and the commander Paul deep in conversation.
He felt a pang in his stomach when he saw Yart. He wanted to run down there and hug him, tell him he missed him, his soup, the smell of tobacco and the Iron workshop but he couldn't.
Yart had tactfully sent him away, a part of him resented him for that.
He realized he was acting like a little girl, he could definitely be level headed about it.
With that, he highlighted from his horse and made his way down to meet them.
He bowed to the commander who acknowledged and excused himself. It was now he and Yart
He feigned a smile.
Yart gave him a genuine one in return.
" I don't how to say this but you are welcome to visit me at home any day ".
Yart spoke still smiling
Gob was shocked, Yart who so tactfully sent him away was giving him an invitation to his house.
For some reason, he was offended.
Before he could will his own his mouth to say something, a voice called from behind,
Gob turned.
A barrack guard whom he outranked bowed smartly,
"Sergeant, the commander demands your presence in the training hall,"
" the commander?"
"yes Sergeant, immediately"
Gob entered the hall together with the guard. Everyone was already in position according to their ranks.
Senior captains, captains, lieutenant, Sergeants then palace guards, Gob took a place beside Rutherford.
"hey Rutherford" Gob whispered
"Yes? "
Rutherford whispered back
"I thought you went home to your wives and kids, how are  you here?"
"they dispatched a rider to my home "
" what could be so important they had to send a messenger? "
" how should I know you little scum" Rutherford cursed
Gob was about to curse back when commander Paul strode in authoritatively with his two personal guards closely following him. Everyone bowed.
"Am sure you all are wondering the reason behind the hurried summon" He paused to let his words stink in and in return he received hushed murmurs. "As you all are aware, since our crown prince led the main army south to join our allies in a campaign against the monsters of Alcrons, citizens, our own citizens have evolved into robbers, bandits, and cut-throats.
So fearlessly have they rampaged this city, striking fear and leaving endless trails of death.
We the Royal army have been forced to do nothing as our numbers have been too few but not anymore.
In a fortnight we will go head to head against the scums.
Until then, the training will be intense, no solider will return to his guard position. We will sleep, train, and bleed here am I clear???"
"Yes commander"
reverberated through the halls as the soldiers yelled in unison.
The barracks cook brought him a repeat of what he termed "chicken food"
He shoved the piece of cheese down his throat.
That's was what he got for a hard day's work.
He started to deeply appreciate Yart's soup. When he was with Yart, he never starved, he was just tired of eating one course of meal.
He slept dreaming about swimming in a pool of cinnamon soup.
Gob opened his eyes wildly, it must have been a dream he concluded, then it came again a loud gong apparently coming from a huge bell.
"it's real"
He had seen the great bronze bell before, it was positioned on the roof of the military hostel. He had thought of it as a monument, he had no idea........
Someone rasped harshly on his door, it wasn't the beautiful maid, that he was sure of, he was familiar with her pattern knock.
The knock erupted again this time louder.
Gob reached for his poorly made sword, the military headquarters couldn't afford good weapons for the garrisons left behind to protect the city as all weapons were sent to the south to equip the main army.
The soldiers left in Xan were practically using garden tools.
It's wouldn't hurt to be cautious, he thought as he quietly paced towards the door.
He assumed a position behind the door that when the door was open would conceal him.
He opened the door and per the plan he was hidden behind the door.
Who ever it was strode fearlessly into the room. With more speed than he thought he had, the ear archer flew out of his hiding place with a yell, clasped his arm around the enemy's neck dragging him down with him.
The bed creaked loudly as they both collapsed into it.
Gob quickly rose, he immediately saddled the man pinning his hands down with his knees. The enemies face came into view
"Rutherford"
He called, surprised
"get off me you scum" Rutherford retorted, pushing Gob off.
"sorry about that friend. Av been jumpy these days".
" I came to tell you to hurry up, you are the only one missing from the training grounds".
"training grounds?.
The events of the previous evening raced to him.
"OH shit """