WHEN BIRDS TAKE FLIGHT

The Archer locked another arrow into his bow and prepared to shoot. In a rage, Yart broke the ropes that bound him then proceeded to grab the Archer by the throat. In one swift move crushed his throat collapsing his wind pipe in the process.

The Archer fell to the ground gasping for air. Just then, Gob ran in to meet a surprised Yart.
Gob's eyes first assessed Yart. Certain he was fine he proceeded to look around.
The Archer had stopped writhing, Gob ran over and checked his pulse, he was dead.
Wordlessly, Yart left the stall.

Gob returned to the palace to find Rutherford sulking.
"let me guess, you couldn't find them"
Rutherford didn't respond his eyes seemed distant.
Gob sat beside him.
"maybe they moved someplace safe"Gob suggested
Rutherford began to sob
"this is the safest place in Xan where else would they be"
"pull your self together, we are moving out tomorrow "

Life as a high commander wasn't exactly pleasant, the Job specification included killing people, watching people die, torture, assassination, little sleep, hate, malice and not to mention teaming people to be just like you. For someone in such position not to loose sanity, one has to have someone or something to keep. Something to keep you sated.

Yart had that something, "tobacco ". It calmed his nerves, saved him from going mad.
He was sucking in his pipe under the moonless sky, sleep had evaded him.
It was one of those migraines he would exchange all his fortune for sleep. He had desperately smoked on his pipe for hours, fortunately, the item always sated his pain.

If he kept smoking long enough, he would finally be able to sleep.
He was waiting patiently for that to happen when he heard it, faint footsteps.

It wasn't an assassin, Yart knew that for a fact because he knew who the footsteps belonged to. Dalian, and he knew why she came.