Chapter 2

I quickly raise my arms above my head and I slam a wave into Bato Jr.

He lets out a strangled cry but quickly gets back up.

"That's all you got?" he asks, a smirk somehow on his face.

"Why don't you come find out?" I ask, placing my hands onto the ground and turning it into a small layer of water.

"Oh no! You've gotten my boots soggy!" Bato Jr jokes.

Now smirking, I raise my arms up and clench my fists, causing the water to turn to ice: freezing him in place.

"Oh, now that's just as cold as ice" Bato grumbles as he tries to free himself.

Rolling my eyes, I jump into the air, a ball of ice risin. Kicking it, it turns into water and slams into Bato. And before he can even react, I shift my hands, turning the water to ice, trapping him.

"Mmmp!" he says, his words muffled by the ice. Laugh, I turn the ice back to water, freeing him.

He gasps for air and wipes the water from his body "Spirits Dakota, you've gotten really good".

"Thank you, but I still need to practice" I say, a small frown on my face.

"No you don't, you're amazing!" Bato smiles as he wraps an arm around my shoulder.

"Bato, Katara was a master at 14 years old, and Korra knew more than me when we were 8" I sighed, pressing my forehead to his.

"Don't compare yourself to them, you're perfect" Bato says "Maybe you need some time away from them". My eyes widen, ever since we were kids and I was away from Korra, I would get anxious, I was the definition of a clingy best friend. "Dakota, I know how you feel about being away from Korra, but you should really go visit your Grandma, when was the last time you saw her?" Bato asks, making me frown.

"Maybe 3 years?" I question, Bato giving me a surprised glance.

"Go visit her, I'll be here when you're back" he smiles. Looking down, I contemplate the idea. Seeing Grandma again would be great, since the last time I saw her was before Grandpa died.

"I'll do it" I grin, pressing a quick kiss to his cheek, then running back to the house. While I begun packing, a loud cheer ran through the house, my bedroom door slamming open.

"I did it! I passed!" Korra cheers, pulling me into a fierce hug.

"That's great Korra! Now you just need to learn air" I smile, pulling away. Korra's eyes however turn to my bed, where I have a suitcase packed.

"Where are we going?" she asks, her eyes wide and confused.

Sighing, I know Korra feels the same way when we're apart, but I need to see Grandma. "Korra, I'm going to Republic City for a few days, I need to see my Grandma" I explain.

"Then I'll go with you!" Korra states, and instantly I know I'll have to damper her mood.

"No Korra, Tenzin will be here and you need to learn airbending. Beside, I did live in the city as a kid for a few years, so how hard could it be?" I say, frowning.

"I don't like it, but be back as soon as you can" Korra told me, pating my shoulder.

"I'll miss you trying to kill me" I smile before quickly hugging her.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh Sokka, how I miss you so much" Grandma whispered as I sat on a tree stump behind her. From what Katara told me, Grandma Mika was staying on Air Temple island with Tenzin.

"I miss your stupid puns, and you always telling me to sandbend with my magic sand" she spoke, a tear sliding down her cheek. "I miss you being overprotective and putting my hands behind your head. "I wish I could have one more minute with you".

My eyes widened, I put my hands behind Bato's head, just like how Grandma did to Grandpa.

Then she began to sing the song she taught me as a child, but it was different.

Leaves from the vine

Falling so slow

Like fragile, tiny shells

Drifting in the foam

Little soldier boy

Come marching home

Brave soldier boy

Comes marching home

"Grandma?" I call out, her head whipping around, her deep green eyes matching my own.

"Dakota? Am I dreaming?" she whispers as she stands up. As she does, I saw what she was looking at: a tombstone with a picture of Grandpa on it as a young boy.

"No Grandma, it's really me" I whisper as I run forward and wrap my arms around her.

Tears fall from her face "Oh Dakota, I was going to come down with Tenzin and the children but Tenzin said I might be a little too old to be riding on Sky Bisons".

Lifting my hand, the tears from her face lifted off and dripped onto the grass.

"You've become a skilled waterbender Dakota, if only your mother and father could see you" Grandma spoke, embracing me again.

"I can still show you Grandma, now how about we go inside, it's almost as cold as the South Pole out here" I smile,  her wrinkled face copying me.

Unlike Katara, Grandma stayed very fit, and still seemed to be working with the White Lotus, something she's been working with since she was a teenager. So, as we walked inside, a few members gave her a respective nod.

"You just missed Tenzin" Grandma spoke "They left yesterday for the South Pole, so they should be there in a few days".

"Oh, it would be good to see Tenzin again" I say. I haven't seen him in years.

When we walked inside, the smell of food hit my nostrils, making me moan quietly. "Are you hungry? I have some noodles and Five Flavor Soup, my personal favorite" Grandma asks as her tears are replaced with a large smile.