8

It seemed like life seemed to fly by. Before I knew it a year had gone by from my explosion of an incident. I hadn't spoken to Luke since that day. I didn't even look at photos of him or even keep up on him. I didn't know who he was dating or what he was up to. I didn't care to keep track of a boy that hurt me so bad. But it was a year and I had healed as much as I could from the situation.

I went to his Instagram and looked at a photo of him. He had grown up so much. I didn't know if he had grown up personality wise but looks wise he had. He seemed like a whole new person. I looked at him and looked past the pain and I saw the boy I knew as a child. I went to google and typed in the only thing I knew to search, 'Olive Raken and Luke Hemmings'. The first search was result, 'Luke and Olive call it quits for good this time'. I clicked and read through the article. He realized that she was the person making him so negative. Something I had always felt from her.

I picked up my phone and dialed a number I knew all too well. The phone rang and rang I figured the next ring was going to be a voicemail but I was wrong when a voice sounded on the other line. "Hello?" It caught me off guard as his accent had faded just as the other guys accent had. "Hello?" His voice sounded again. I wasn't expecting an answer and I didn't know what I expected from the conversation.

"Hello." I said quietly back.

"Emmy?" Being called Emmy brought back memories. Both good and bad ones. It gave me chills. Something I couldn't control.

"Luke." I said taking a deep breath and holding it waiting for him to say something back to me.

"Why are you calling me? I thought you made it clear you wanted nothing to do with me." I expected his tone to be bitter but it wasn't. It was more confused than anything. It had pain to it.

"After a year of not talking I found myself wondering how you were. What exactly you've been up to. I mean I talk with the guys but we stay clear of anything to do with you. I don't know why I picked up the phone and called. I can't explain what my mind does." I heard shuffling of things in the back ground as I waited for his response.

"I would say I wish I could apologize for all the pain I gave you but I can't do that. I can't apologize for all the things I said about you, to you, all the using I did because what happened, happened." I nodded my head in agreement. "So all I can say is I have grown from what I did to you." Whether or not it was true was another story. But I always placed a lot of trust in his hands so I was going to do it again.

"I'm glad you've grown up Luke." I smiled even though he couldn't see me. "I think everyone has really. I'm proud of all of us. Every story has bumps along the way, big or small." He laughed a little. I closed my eyes and pictured his face with a smile. It was a sight I would still enjoy today even through everything. Most people would call me stupid for talking to him but it was my life. It was my decision to do whatever I wanted.

"Thank you for calling Emmy." I heard more shuffling of things but then his line went quiet.

"Thank you for answering Luke." The tone of our voices had gone from anger and pain to happiness. It was like we had felt comfort within each other again. It's hard to explain exactly what it was like to go through everything we went through. You don't just throw away 18 years of something because of your own insecurities and denial. "I'm going to go, I know it's late." I looked up at my ceiling not really knowing what was going to happen in the future.

"Wait Emmy." The silence broke from his end of the line.

"Hm?" I questioned as he began to speak again.

"I'm going to be corny for a second." I giggled a little, it was something Luke had always been good at. His voice began to sing a song. It was a song I never heard before. I listened to the words carefully. "All this time, I never thought that life would be this hard. I couldn't escape no matter how hard I tried. When all hope was lost, I found you." His voice sung the rest of this mystery song as my phone rested on my chest. I didn't have a response to the words written throughout the lyrics. "Tanner Townsend – Falling in Love." His voice spoke after he finished the song. He admitted he didn't write the lyrics. "One day I was down, listening to music and this song came on. I thought of you." I felt nervous listening to him speak. "I was mean to you." I nodded. "Because I refused to admit something to myself." I didn't want to hear the words coming next. I knew exactly what he was going to say. I could tell from listening to the song he had just sung. "I had fallen in love with you."