Ch 2-God Will Take Care Of It

*Trigger Warning*

"So what do you wanna do?" She asks as we sit across from each other at a table in the food court.

She is slowly coming out of her shell and I begin to wonder what my limits are. Whether or not I can talk to her like a normal teenager or if I should treat her like a church girl and watch what I say.

"I don't know," I say, "You tell me, after all, you wanted to come to a mall"

She chuckled "Not a mall. This one specifically" the soft chuckle makes a sudden warmth settle in my stomach but I decide to ignore it.

"Why this one?"

She looked around as if to make sure no one else was listening before leaning in. I did the same to meet her halfway and tried my best not to focus on our proximity. But before she spoke up I couldn't help but look down at her lips and it took everything in me not to lean in the rest of the way but, it was far too soon.

"Listen," she says quietly. I follow her eyes to the middle-aged blonde woman standing a few feet from our table and listen in. She's talking to a man who is well aged wearing a baseball shirt.

"He's doing great!" The woman says "He's playing in college now, he went up to Orlando to UCF" she explained, "He said we wanted to go away for college but not too far and this way he pays in-state tuition," she says clearly talking proudly about her son. It appears as though she ran into his High School coach and now she's obligated to make small talk, though they both seem to be enjoying the conversation.

A low chuckle erupts from the white-haired man before he speaks up "You got a smart boy there Susan"

I can't help but smile at the fact that she even has a soccer mom's name.

A pair of slim fingers land atop my hand grabbing my attention once again. I look into her chocolate eyes that we're watching me with a slight hint of fascination.

Without a word, her eyes hinted at the other side of the table where a small family of four sat beside us.

"We need to hurry," the mom said "Amber has cheerleading practice in a half hour and we've been late twice before"

The man lets out a monotone "Yes honey" and continues to eat his burger.

"This mall" Camila speaks up once more "Is about five minutes from Avalon Lakes which is the suburban part of town"

I typically get annoyed when people explain things to me that I already know but for some reason, it didn't get to me this time.

"The world is so small here," she says with a slight smile "Their problems revolve around around soccer practice and carpooling" according to the two conversations we just heard that certainly seemed to be true.

"If you look around all you see are kids and families and parents telling teenagers to get off the phone to be nice to their sister it's all out of a teen movie" she chuckled.

As my eyes wondered, around the room I witnessed this to be true

"I never had that" she adds catching my attention.

Green eyes are now bored into brown as she continues to speak

"A normal family dynamic" she explains "It's always been me, my mom and Sofi and the three of us have struggled with a lot"

Immediately my mind starts to wonder what they've been through. Well I already know her dad left them when she was young, I wonder if there is more to it than that. And are those situations the reason why her mom took onto religion so strongly? A little faith through a hard time can go a long way.