Ch 23- Weightless

I remember the first time I saw Natalie. 

We were in school, just walking down the hallway and to my next class. It was brief, but I remember it clearly. 

My eyes locked with hers, and she smiled, it wasn't an average smile though. Not the forced kind of smiles you make to be polite to strangers it was a special smile. A smile that is forever embedded in my head because it was like she knew, that we would be important to one another, and she decided to tell me through that smile. 

I held on to that for a very long time. Through every break-up and make-up, every disagreement, every moment of jealousy, insecurity or spite I held onto the idea that a second was all it took to know, and that had to mean something, right? 

Meet me here in 15- Nat

I read the text message on my phone screen yet again, the message that I received ten minutes ago. 

When I read it for the first time I thought of that moment, that first glance, and I think about how we've been as of recently. Just two people, clinging onto a moment that happened years ago. A moment that lasted just a second 

But still, a second was all it took, and that had to mean something, right? 

On my way- Lauren 

I text back and hop in my car to go see her. The first time she was in this car was when I first bought it and she made fun of me for months wondering why I decided to buy an "ancient piece of shit" as she so eloquently put it. 

She wasn't wrong, it wasn't in the best shape when I got it but dad and I managed to fix it up and she eventually warmed up to it. 

While I am pulling out of the driveway, I remember all the nights that I snuck out to go see her, not to mention, the hidden messages we left for each other everywhere. I'm not sure how she managed to do it but I'd find handwritten notes in my notebooks, backpack, closet and anywhere she could get her hands on. 

They would say things like you looked beautiful today, I love your mind, you leave me breathless, and I love you more. 

Not more than I loved her, she just had this thing where she would say I love you more than our fights, more than any situation we could go through, more than any hurdle life could throw at us.  

Just, more. 

I remember trying my best to return the favor but I wasn't nearly as creative as she was when it came to hiding the notes, though I certainly tried. 

Natalie and I were pretty amazing, but if I'm being honest I don't think we can get that back. It's too late now, isn't it?

It's been two months now, and as much as these memories make me smile, that's just what they are, only memories of the people we used to be. 

As I park in front of the house that Natalie sent me as her location I look down at the series of text messages that got me here.

We need to talk-Lauren

I know, let's have that talk tomorrow though. For tonight, let's have some fun-Nat 

Meet me here in 15-Nat

We both knew what conversation we were going to have, but if she wanted one more night there's no reason why I couldn't give that to her right? I owed her that much

I get out from the car and send her a text informing her I've arrived. My eyes take a quick glance around and I don't recall being in this neighborhood before but I can see why. Every house I drove past on my way here had cars parked outside that were worth more than everything I own put together. All the houses were noticeably large and modern, each with its own intricate design.