Ch 27- I'm Tired

There was a fear in her eyes that only I managed to identify. For years, I carried that fear. I remember what it felt like when it was looking back at me every time I stepped in front of a mirror.

"What happened?" the officer asked softly

I sighed and began to talk about tonight's events, but the only thing I could focus on was Crystal. She was sitting on the couch still sobbing, her daughter, enveloped in her arms begging for her to stop crying 

"I'm sorry," they said repeatedly to one another. 

I'm not sure how I managed but slowly, I began to tell yet another officer what happened. 

I started the story at the dinner we had at my parent's house and how Taylor and I suggested a sleepover so we could get to know Crystal and her daughter. I recalled the moment we walked into her house, seeing the little girl smile at the sight of her mother, watching the smile vanish when her eyes landed on my uncle. I told them about how I waited till they retreated into their bedroom and wasted no time in asking the little girl up front what she thought about my uncle. 

She looked hesitant, afraid. 

I asked why, and she wouldn't answer. 

I asked if he hurt her, and she wouldn't answer. 

I asked if he touches her, and I saw the tears brimming in her eyes 

"I'm not supposed to talk about it" she mumbled fearfully 

"Talk about what?" Crystal asked urgently, having overheard enough of the conversation to continue it on her own. 

Her daughter didn't need to speak for long before we all understood exactly what was happening, and when he walked out of the bedroom with a smile on his face, it faded when his eyes landed on Crystal 

"What's the matter, honey?" 

I thought I had seen anger before, but not like that. 

Nothing like the ferocity of a mother protecting her child. 

On her way to him, she ripped out a lamp from the socket and he was too busy trying to figure out what was going on to react when she swung it against his head. If I close my eyes, I can still see the splash of red hitting the wall behind him. Once he was on the floor it didn't take long for her to climb on top of him and start beating him. 

One punch, then another, and again. 

While Taylor called the cops, I knew I was supposed to try and get her off him, but instead I turned to Rosie, which I learned was her daughter's name, and asked her to please go to her room so she didn't have to see mommy angry.  I went into the room with her and told her to show me her dolls which she did so proudly until the cops arrived. 

It only took a few minutes for them to do so and by then Crystal had gotten too tired to keep beating him. Not to mention he had lost consciousness after the initial blow with the lamp and the pool of blood was getting to be too much. 

"Is he..." I trailed off once I finished making my statement to the cop 

"He had a pulse," the officer said, knowing where I was headed with the question "It was weak but it was there," 

I nodded, "Y'know, we have to take her in," he said gesturing to Crystal 

When I asked why he informed me that even though the reason is beyond valid, it is still assault and legally my uncle could still press charges. 

Rosie was put under her grandmothers custody and Taylor and I went home to endure my father's wrath. 

Thanks to us, his brother was in the hospital.