Ch 24- A Pianist

"I understand you have a job now, Lauren," Dad said "And taking classes again, and all but you've been neglecting your responsibilities at church"

There was a sigh waiting to be released in the back of my throat, but I decided not to start any trouble with my father today. He's been going through a lot, with Chris gone, and his co-pastor being asked to resign. Someone dropped an anonymous note that he was having a relationship with a younger member of the congregation. Not to mention that my mom suddenly became two people. It's like she's stuck between who she wants to be and who she was taught to be. Meaning that some days she is the quiet submissive woman he married and others she gives him nothing but contradictions and though she's often right, he doesn't know how to manage it.

She's giving us all whiplash.

Now when it comes to Taylor, I didn't know what else to do. If I confronted her she'd hate me, if I flat out snitched she'd hate me, if I told anyone else it would be all over the church. I did what I thought would be best and though I feel like I betrayed my sister to an extent I also know it was for the best.

In the midst of all this, I was pleased with the reaction my father had. Though, I'd be lying to say it didn't hurt me a bit. He has no idea that the girl is Taylor, meaning he took immediate action to protect a girl he didn't know, or someone that he doesn't know that he knows, and when he found out about me he just sat on the information.

Still, I decided to take it as him learning from his mistakes and chose not to dwell on it for too long or I would probably end up in a bad place.

I've seen the shift though, in Taylor's mood since it happened and I don't even know how things will be when Ally returns. Regardless of her father leaving the congregation she is attached to our family now.

If she comes back with the baby, that is.

Being in the dark sucks, I could only imagine how Chris is feeling but there is only so much that can be communicated through the hand written letters we send to one another.

"We might be here for a while," Dad said "So be ready to spend the day here"

I'm sure he was still talking while I was lost in my thoughts but it sort became background noise as we entered the music store.

Along with our co-pastor, we had two musicians leave the congregation. They were a father and son who are moving away since the dad found a great out of state job opportunity, which is great for them, but we now have to find both a guitarist and a drummer.

So dad and I are spending the day in a music store called Band Room where he, along with the rest of the church musicians, will have people audition for them while I go play.

Not that I know how to play any instruments, but literally just go touch stuff and play. Pick up a guitar and pretend to be Jimi Hendrix, or sit at a piano and be Alicia Keys. Sit in front of a drum set and make some god awful beat that the innocent bystanders will have to endure.

They also promised me food after the auditions.

Not to mention this would get my dad off my back about not being involved in church things for a while.

We walked into the music store and I was astounded by what was in front of me, it was like stepping into the brain of a musician. The room was huge and every instrument had its own section with soundproof rooms for them to try out the instruments and practice.

When we walked in my dad greeted the manager of the place who led us to a private room where the auditions would be held.

They started soon after we arrived and I was surprised at the number of people that showed up.