Ch 19- Allyson

There are life altering instances that you will always remember every detail of. In my life, they have never been the moments that I expected them to be. 

I barely remember prom and much less my graduation day. I don't remember who the performer was for grad bash and I don't remember my first day in college. 

But I will always remember sitting on the living room couch beside my mother the day she got that phone call. 

I will remember the stupid bandana on my wrist and the talk my mother and I were having just before. I will remember the fact that the asshole in the blue Prius in front of us was driving too slow and didn't allow me to get to the hospital as fast as I could have. 

I'll remember the cold breeze upon entering the white building and the desperation laced on my mother's voice when she asked for him at the front counter. 

They told us he was stable but they needed some more time before we could see him. We were informed they gave him activated charcoal which is supposed to bind the drugs so that his body can't absorb it anymore. 

As much as they tried to identify what he took the doctor said that it was a combination of so many things that he doesn't know how my brother is still alive. 

"Where is he?" I hear a deep voice laced with a British accent say as I look up from my phone. 

"Mr. and Mrs. Jauregui?" another voice interrupted. 

Before Harry could say another word the doctor walked into the room informing us that we could see him now. 

I looked over to my mother and father, who had caught up with us along with Taylor a while ago and noticed the menacing glare that mom was giving dad. 

As soon as we were told what had happened my father became enraged. 

"My son is no drug addict!" he yelled at the doctor as if it were somehow his fault. 

But before he could say anything else my mom pulled him back and told him this was not the time or place. 

She warned him, that when we walked inside he would be nothing but kind, loving and sympathetic to their son who was close to dying tonight. 

She said it kindly, but with a new authority in her voice that I think even she was surprised with. 

So as we walked back with Harry in tow, my father walked quietly and with his hands in his pockets, in what I can only assume is an attempt at self-control. 

When we walked in, my brother was sickeningly pale. He looked at us through the fallen locks of his long hair with a faint smile. A smile that quickly faded, when he realized that if we were all here it was because we knew. 

Without anyone saying a word, we all gathered around his bed each one of us holding on to him. 

My mother cupped his cheek, while Taylor and I stood on opposite sides of the bed holding onto each of his hands. My father, on the other hand, stood at the foot of the bed with his arms crossed and a look of anger in his features. 

"I'm sorry" were the first words that fell from Chris's lips and it was all it took for my mother to start crying. The second time in one night that I am a witness to her breaking down in tears. 

She pressed a soft kiss on his forehead and told him it was okay, and that we would get him the help he needed. 

Harry stood awkwardly in the corner, watching the whole exchange. I appreciated that he recognized this to be a family ordeal but I also found his presence necessary. Lord only knows how many times he's been more like a family member to Chris than anybody else in the room.