Ch 21- Act Like It

Lauren's POV 

She looks like a thunder storm.

Like she can walk towards me while simultaneously destroying everything in her path.

I can almost picture it

One step in my direction causing chairs and tables in the bar to fly in opposite directions, with the wind furiously blowing through her hair.  Every sway of her hips making the ground shake beneath my feet.

The most beautiful catastrophe my eyes have ever witnessed. 

But I am quickly pulled out of my imagination when our eyes meet, it's not until then that I realize that we are the only two in the bar. 

Never before did I think I would wish for there to be customers, at least that way I would have an excuse not to talk to her. 

Just as I am considering running to the back where it's safe and Camila-free, she makes her way towards me, and I should be wondering why she's here but, I don't.  For only a split second, I simply allow myself to be happy to see her.

We haven't spoken in five weeks now, she doesn't even know I'm back together with Natalie and it's probably for the best.

If she did know, she'd probably sit up in one of these bar stools and yell something like

"What the hell are you doing?" Camila asks defiantly

Slowly, I look down at my apron and then at the bar around me as if it were sufficient enough answer, still, at risk of stating the obvious I say

"Working" I shrug

Camila crosses her arms across her chest and gives me a raging glare that I never want to be on the receiving end of again

"I mean with Natalie," she says

I don't need much time to figure out exactly what happened and I immediately decide that, when I get home, I am murdering my sister.

"Oh, her," I say as nonchalantly as possible "We're back together"

She scoffs "Didn't she break your heart?" she asks defiantly as if just the mere thought of giving people second chances is absurd. 

"Yeah well, so did you and I'm allowing this conversation to happen anyways"

The response flies out of my mouth without a second thought and the way her face fell at the harshness of my words made my chest ache

It's a familiar pain if I'm being honest, I've felt it every day for the past five weeks. Every time my phone lights up and my heart skips a beat thinking, that maybe just maybe it could be who I'm hoping it is, but it's never her. 

That's when the pain settles in.

Natalie saw her opportunity as soon as I told her what happened and took it, and I allowed it to happen because maybe it felt nice to be chased instead of doing all the chasing myself.

"Lauren," Camila said softly, her defenses immediately falling.

As much as I wanted to do the same I know that I couldn't, I have a girlfriend now and it would be unfair to her if I allow myself to get carried away in Camila again.

"After not talking for over a month is this what you came here for?" I ask "To reprimand me on my love life?"

Her lips part, but nothing comes out

"You no longer have a right," I continue, instead of allowing her to speak "Because there is no you and me anymore, remember?"

Every nerve in my body is screaming at me to stop being mean to her but my heart can't win over my head this time because I can't go through what happened after the parking lot again.