Epilogue- The Truest Lie

"Is Emma ready?" my wife asked me

At that very moment, we heard the keys of the grand piano in our living room being smashed incoherently 

"I'm gonna go with no" I replied with a guilty smile, knowing I was the one that was supposed to get her dressed. 

Camila shakes her head and walks out of our bedroom of our New York apartment and I followed right after her. Partly, because I love watching her parent but mainly because I love the way her ass looks in that black dress she's wearing and who wouldn't want to walk behind that?

"Emma," Camila said, "You should be dressed, they're going to be here any second now" 

A smile landed on my lips as I saw my wife walk up behind our 4-year-old daughter who's only response was 

"But I wanna play like mommy" 

My goodness, I thought, she's good 

Camila looked back at me helplessly knowing that there was no way she would be able to fight against her daughter's puppy dog eyes.

She sat beside her on the piano bench to go over Emma's infamous rendition of twinkle twinkle 

I can't believe we've been in the city for ten years now. I still remember the moment I told Camila she got accepted in NYU and how she didn't even hesitate in bringing me along with her. We had so many discussions about me moving with her but at the end of the day, my siblings were gone, my father was in prison and it only took mom a couple of months to find a new man. They were married within 6 months and I had never seen her so happy. They're still together and even a decade later he's trying to undo a lot of the damage my father caused her. Thankfully, she's tapped into her potential and has gone back to school. I basically had no reason to stay in Miami, and one very important one to go. 

Camila excelled in school immediately, while I found a bar to work in so we could have our small run-down studio apartment that we lived in when we first arrived. Winters were torture since the heater didn't work and the entire building had a rat problem, but we kept each other warm when we had nothing but our dreams to hold on to.

The years that follow are all a blur, our first big fight as a couple, the year we broke up after her graduation when Camila went on tour with her professor's orchestra. How she showed up on the opening night of my first Broadway show. I may have just been playing a flying monkey in Wicked but she was there like she promised she would be when we first arrived to the city, and there was no better moment for our reconciliation. 

I think that even during our time apart we always knew we'd come back to each other. Now that year just feels like a bad dream that I'm glad I woke up from. 

I remember our wedding day and Natalie's surprise visit. She came up to my room before the ceremony with an offer to run away with her and leave it all behind. She gave a moving speech and a very convincing argument, but she didn't take into consideration the fact that I am madly in love with Camila. Three years later, the night before Natalie's wedding, she called to thank me for saying no to her that day and told me she finally found her Camila, by the name of Anne. They're currently living happily in Miami and Nat is pregnant with their first child. 

After we got married and decided to have a baby Camila finally came around to the idea of working together. She thought spending so much time together would be a detriment to the relationship but truthfully I get no greater pleasure than looking down from the stage and seeing my wife sat at her piano. 

I am currently playing Zoe in Dear Evan Hansen on Broadway and my wife is the pianist and current musical director of the show. 

Kinda hot having her as my boss.