Ch 7-No Matter What

"Those who do not choose Jesus, are choosing Satan by omission," my father announced from the altar.

It was Sunday morning and just like every other week around this time he was in full performance mode.

"It doesn't matter if you fed the homeless or donated millions to charity" he shrugged "The only way to reach the heavenly gates" he nodded "Is through Jesus Christ"

My siblings and I are sitting on the side of the stage like always as my eyes turn to the crowd who are all blankly staring at my father. It's fascinating how they feed into every word and not take a second to analyze for themselves. Any other day I would probably go on a mental rant discrediting everything he is saying but today I'm tired, and my mind is focused on only one thing.

Camila

My eyes find her in the crowd and as always she is sitting beside her younger sister. Camila and her mom always make sure Sofi is sitting in between them as if shielding her from the rest of the world, which I find endearing, though, that is not what is catching my eye right now.

I'm noticing a glimpse of uncertainty in Camila's eyes at my father's words and if I'm not mistaken even a shake of the head. Then, almost as if she could feel my eyes on her she turned in my direction. She carried a look of what seemed like desperation as if silently begging me to contradict him.

My eyes glanced towards the exit silently offering her and out and she offered me a quick nod. After I noticed her get up and head out towards the lobby I leaned into my sister's ear to tell her I'd be back in a while. She nodded, knowing to cover for me if my parents asked anything. Both of my siblings know about my difference in opinion though we've never spoken of it outright, they just know. So whenever the bullshit becomes too much and I have to leave to cool off they know to cover for me with our parents. These are things we just do for each other without question, they don't ask why I leave in the middle of services just like I don't ask how Taylor gets all the gossip in church and much less ask where Chris disappears to every Thursday night at 10.

I don't think he knows that I've seen him sneak out a few times but he doesn't tell and I don't ask. All I know is that if my parents ever questioned me about it I would cover for him.

As I exit it's not difficult to spot Camila. She is the only person standing in the lobby, simply standing there in a tight fitting white dress nervously biting her nails.

"Hey," I say simply to catch her attention.

Her wide eyes look up at me with an almost frightened expression

"I know you're not supposed to question a man of God," she says immediately "but that can't be right can it?" she asks pleadingly "I mean what if someone is good their entire life," she says "A law abiding, generous neurosurgeon who fed the homeless in their spare time and donated their hair to cancer patients and simply wasn't taught about religion growing up? Does he go to hell?"

She rants as she gave an example "I mean the man saves lives for a living that wouldn't be right, would it?"

Her brown eyes stare into mine making me swoon even in the midst of her desperation. She paused and looked at me as she awaited my answer.

"Walk with me," I say as calmly as I could while offering her a comforting smile. Without question, she did as I said and I assumed she's already become used to our random outings.

I end up taking her to my dad's office since it's the only real private place in the church and taking into consideration the fact that he's preaching right now I know it'll be empty.

"Are you sure we're allowed to be here?" Camila asks softly

Once I assure her it was fine I sat atop my dad's desk with my legs crossed beneath me. No matter how much my parents try to get me to dress appropriately for the church today simply wasn't one of their successful attempts. So In comparison to Camila's white dress, I was incredibly underdressed in my ripped black jeans and leather jacket.