Ch 10-One Person

Lauren's POV

"You owe me" she pressed

I chuckled and nodded as Camila and I pulled up in the driveway of my house.

Since the experience, she had at Dinah and Normani's place she insists that it's somehow my fault and I need to make it up to her.

"Okay," I said holding back a giggle "I already admitted that I should have said something as soon as I smelled it walking in," I said "And I'm sorry but you still haven't told me how you want me to make it up to you"

I find a parking spot in the long line of cars surrounding my house. Today was my mom's birthday party and in addition to church folk, there will be extended family from her side as well, most of which don't really care much for the church. 

It is always fascinating to see those worlds collide so this evening should be interesting

"Oh you can bet your ass I'll think of something," Camila said as we exited the car "It'll be great"

I playfully roll my eyes as we walk towards the door "You're all talk Cabello"

She shook her head "You'll see"

We walk into the house and are immediately met with the sound of Celia Cruz's voice blasting through the speakers and you can almost see the divide if you pay close enough attention. There are people dancing and laughing some with beer bottles in their hands that they must have brought themselves because they knew my parents wouldn't have any.

On the other hand, are the church folk who are all sitting down, half of them engaged in conversation the other half are staring at the dancers as if they were traumatized by the events going on in front of them.

"Are they ok?" Camila asked, taking notice of how bitter the people sitting down looked 

I chuckled and smiled "They'll be fine," I told her brushing it off as I lead her into the kitchen for something to snack on

"Michelle" I heard someone slur "Who's that?"

My cousin Thomas was smirking in Camila's direction and I wanted to wipe it off of his face. No matter how much I try not to be, I can't help but feel protective over Camila

"Uh," I started knowing that I had to be polite to avoid conflict "This is my friend Camila," I said

"Camz, this is my cousin Thomas"

They shake hands and I could sense Camila's discomfort. Even with her innocence, any idiot could tell he was looking at her like a piece of meat.

"So how do you two-" he began 

"I'm sorry" Camila cut in "I should say hi to pastor Mike and his wife" she announced "If you'll excuse me"

With that, Tom was left standing there not very sure of what just happened as I felt slim fingers slip through my own when she me away

"Shot. Down." I said with a giggle

"What can I say" she shrugged "He lacked the charm of another Jauregui I know"

The smirk on my lips was inevitable as I looked down at her but before I could say anything she chimed in again

"Don't get a big head, Michelle" she smirked referring to me with the same name Tom just did.

The sound of it made me cringe 

"Please," I said pretending to gag "Don't call me that again?"