Ch 3-I'll Keep Your Secrets If You Keep Mine

I don't consider my father to be a wise man.

This does not mean that he is not an intelligent man, though that can be up for debate sometimes. He is definitely a close minded man, a stubborn man, a man who always has his way. He is a natural born leader, someone who can easily manipulate the minds of the masses by feeding them hope. He is of strong character and has a presence that demands your attention and expects your respect.

My mother, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. I consider my mom to be a wise woman. She thinks abstractly and is open to new ideas but she is not book smart, not in the same way my father is. She is shy and quiet. I think she could be so much more if she wasn't so afraid to speak up, but currently, she is solely my father's shadow.

"Lauren," she says "Please don't start this again"

My parents have been forcing me to go to therapy for far too long, but never without a fight. I don't see the point in it because the main focus of it is to make me straight, so I never get to talk about any actual issues going on in my head.

"Just get in the car Michelle," my father says in a menacing tone.

I can see my mother horripilate at the sound and I release a soft sigh.

A part of me feels bad for her, but a larger part of me wonders why she allows herself to be so small.

His tone doesn't affect me, and this bothers him because it strikes a chord with everyone else.

Solely for my mother's comfort, I slide into the backseat of my own car and allow my father to take me to Dr. Hernandez.

She is Pastor Hernandez's wife.

Pastor Hernandez and my dad have been friends for as long as I could remember. They are so close, in fact, that when dad said he was going to open congregation he made Mr. Hernandez his co-pastor and our two families have been running things alongside each other ever since.

They have a daughter named Ally.

Now she is the daughter my parents wish they had.

She is beautiful, intelligent, friendly, and loves God more than life itself.

I mean, according to them that's how things are supposed to be right? But I'm not sure my father is like that, not really. I think that is what he preaches but at the end of the day, I simply think he enjoys being in a position of authority.

"Dr. Hernandez says you didn't go to the last three sessions," my dad says from the front seat of my mustang "That is the only reason why we're doing this," he says.

I don't put in any efforts to respond since I knew what I said wouldn't matter anyways.

"Care to explain why you've been missing therapy?" he asks.

I don't reply. Instead, I allow my mind to wonder to Mrs. Hernandez.

Though, I certainly don't agree with what the therapy consists of she does have a Ph.D. and I wonder why my mom has not gone for something like that. The Hernandez family shares all of the same belief systems but they don't seem as oppressed as I feel . I begin to wonder where the difference lies.

"Lauren Michelle," my dad says, "I asked you a question"

Almost involuntarily my eyes roll as I speak up "I heard"

"Lauren," my mom says softly in reaction to my defiant tone.

If it wasn't for her my father and I would have killed one another a long time ago.