Ch 13.5- Speak Up

Camila's POV

I saw Lauren today.

She looked beautiful

Though, I don't know who I expected anything less because she always does.

It had been two weeks since I snuck out of her room after that night and the last place I expected to see her was in conversion therapy.

But the second my eyes landed on her I froze.

I mean, of course, I couldn't help but get close to her for at least a split second to feel her skin underneath my fingertips and then go to where I needed to be.

There is far too much that she makes me feel, far too much that I know I'm not supposed to feel but there's just something about her.

About her smile, her laugh, her voice and those eyes.

Kaleidoscope eyes, I think to myself. I can't help but smile at the memory of that day. 

The amount of attractive qualities in her is incalculable, and when I overheard her the conversation with her and her father it only made me more attracted to her for all the reasons why I shouldn't be.

**

"Lauren," a stern voice said as I was helping with the after party clean up.

The green eyed girl and I exchanged a look before she followed her father into his study.

By our previous conversations, I knew it was nothing good because Lauren said she was only summoned into the room to be reprimanded. Though, I hoped it was nothing too bad.

Only a few minutes passed when I was asked by Mrs. Jauregui to go find her husband for her and I gladly obliged thinking that maybe I'd get Lauren out of a tough conversation by announcing his presence was being requested elsewhere.

I slowly made my way to the study taking advantage of the fact that Lauren was no longer with me and couldn't stop me from enjoying the baby pictures in the hallway.

She was by far the world's most adorable baby and no one could convince me otherwise.

I heard muffled voiced behind the door and if I wasn't mistaken I was definitely about to get her out of a rough conversation.

Carefully, I opened the door and suddenly lost my ability to speak.

The fury in Pastor Jauregui eyes ran a chill down my spine and the urgency in Lauren's eyes left me speechless.

"I'm. Not. Sick" she said, "I'm not crazy, or ill, or a sinner I'm just-"

"Just what?!" he said cutting her off.

My head was spinning and everything in me wanted to say something.

"Just being yourself?!" he yelled

Speak up, Camila. 

"Just loving who you want to?"

But I couldn't.

The words got caught in my throat and I couldn't even produce a breathless "Excuse me" to grab their attention. 

Partly because it wasn't my place but mostly because who am I to stand up to the pastor? Then again, it's almost as if I can physically see how much this is hurting her.