(4)

A month had passed without any encounters with Porter. It seems plan avoid Porter 2.0 was working better than I had thought.

It was hard to avoid him at first since I am his sister's best friend. I speak with Kendyl all the time over the phone, sleepovers and had lunch with her at school. Porter was always around 24/7, whenever I saw him I would turn the other way.

But today, we met at one of our favorite places. Every week was a different venue, a frustrated Kendyl argued continuously about how childish I was being. If she only knew the heart aches and two missed menstrual cycles because of the stress Porter caused.

"Why do we have to do this? You know I'm broke!" was her whining remark today when we entered week one of favorite diners downtown.

We sat in the back booth closest to the large panel window. Our favorite spot, okay maybe well my favorite spot.

No one could see us from back here.
I sat across from her scanning the menu, deciding wether if I wanted an omelette or blueberry pancakes with French toast and hash browns.
"Oh stop whining will you. If it makes you feel better I'll pay for your brunch" I said glancing up at her.

She grinned flipping through large  5 page menu.

"Well in the that case-" her voice trailed off as the waiter named Michael approached our table.

"Are you ladies ready to order?"
He asked placing two glasses of orange juice in front of us.

I looked up from my menu to find that closeup, Michael was a good looking man.

He has glowing dark skin, buzzed hair  and very white teeth.

Yum.

"Um yes I'll have your five cheese omelette. Please"

"And for you young lady?" He asked Kendyl

"Yes I'll have three buttermilk pancakes, four french toast and two eggs-scrambled"

She grinned politely batting her lashes. We both handed over the menus.
"Will do—"

I stared at her mouth agape.

"Your food will be right with you" he walked away.
I nodded.

"What!" She looked at me and laughed

"Really? I said I'd pay. That doesn't mean put me in debt"

I shook my head humorously.

"I'm sorry. I'm famished plus I'm broke and I don't get my check until Friday. Being broke and hungry is not a good combination" she huffed

"You should spend your money wisely" I stated fidgeting with my utensils.

"Welllllllll—" She began

"—We wouldn't have to be eating at diners if you'd just tell me what happened between you and my brother-"
My mood shifted.

"I don't want to talk about it" I looked out the window stirring my juice with a straw.

"Why is seeing him so bad?"