(7)

Melanie's Dress for the dinner

3 weeks later...

Today was a very special day. It was my birthday and also Thanksgiving. The best time of year, well after Christmas. Getting free shit is the best.

I was 18 today, my mother loved to have a big family feast with our extended family and then a party afterwards.

We sat at the kitchen table going through recipe books for the perfect cake.

I sighed resting my chin on my hand, flipping through the pages. My mind was obviously somewhere else.

"Is everything okay mi amor?" My mother asked taking her gaze off the books and onto me.

"It's just that—since I'm 18 now, I really want a really big birthday party but—"

"—but what honey?"

"Can we push a party this year. I want to go out with my friends, I get that it's thanksgiving but we do the same thing every year."

She looked disappointed.

"Oh I see" her voice softened as she slouched.

"Ma.." I reached out and touched her hand entwining our fingers.

"—that doesn't mean we can't celebrate at dinner tonight. I just want to do my own thing, you know." I reassured her looking into her sparkling amber eyes.

She laughed. I noticed the tiredness in them as she laughed.

Small wrinkles were forming around her eyes.

Her long brown hair had single gray strands sprouting from the roots all across her head.

The more I looked at my mother, I felt grateful that she gave birth to me, she's the best person in the world. At 51 years old, she was strong and determined.

"No worries my love. Eres mi corazón y mi alma. haré lo que sea por ti" You are my heart and soul

I thanked her by hugging her and kissing her cheek.

We went back to flipping through more recipe books until we found the perfect cake. For the thanksgiving dinner, mom planned the traditional American turkey. Greek cucumber salad, made with 2 teaspoons of dried oregano, two whole cucumbers, sliced red onions. Chopped Roma tomatoes, feda cheese, lemon juice and sliced-pitted black olives.

Nana was making a few of her many famous dishes that mama, papa, Delilah and I loved. Her classic Sicilian Arancini (saffron-scented rice, stuffed with meat sauce and peas, then breaded and fried).

Porcini Mushroom risotto, Lasagne alla Bolognese— lasagna with an amazing meat sauce—and Nutella tart.

My aunt María and her twins sons, Ren and Carlos, were coming over too. She was bringing raspberry jam bomboloni—which was just a fancy name for Italian donut holes—for desert.

Delilah, whom I missed dearly, was also coming. She's been away at Morgan state college for three whole months, note to self: Tell her everything.